Thursday, June 02, 2005

Reality

I drove 65 miles each way for a 15 minute interview. What I thought was a reputable company turned out to be a "boiler room" operation. The young man that "interviewed" (I am not sure spending 15 minutes with someone constitutes an interview, but oh well!) me had a whole sheet of questions based on previous sales experience. I guess he didn't realize I had NO sales experience so we went over the basics of the job which took 2 minutes and the remaining 13 minutes consisted of a tour of the office and some small talk. By the way the basics of the position is "cold calling", this was the only thing. He asked me how I felt "cold calling" companies and I answered I have no problem cold calling anyone as long as I believe in the product and the company that supports the product. This is a strictly commissioned based position meaning if you don't sell you don't get paid. I know my situation is dire but driving an hour and 10 minutes without traffic each way to "cold call" companies with no guarantee of anything does not make me very enthusiastic, maybe it is my reality but I could find something closer to home so I wouldn't get killed by the gas prices. Again, sorry to disappoint those that believe I should get any job. I will turn my sights on the car dealerships next week at least they are close to home.

It has been a tough few days and I would suspect the days won't get any easier but I have my health and my family. These two things mean a great deal to me and I need to continue to concentrate on the positive aspects of my life. I also need to continue to make the progressive character change so I don't repeat the mistakes of the past. Finally, I need to focus on today because this is the only certainty we all have.

No comments: