Thursday, June 09, 2005

Wonderful People

My sponsor in Gamblers Anonymous turned 15 tonight. No, he is not teenager he has been an active member of Gamblers Anonymous for 15 years which means he placed his last bet 15 years ago. I think I have written this before but I will repeat the comments about my sponsor. He is a kind, selfless, honest, humble, generous, and giving person. In short he is a wonderful human being. We celebrated his birthday at his home meeting which is 45 minutes away from where I live. There was a tremendous turnout and I met the person who started the Las Vegas Gamblers Anonymous meetings 30 years ago. This person has been an active member of GA for 37 years and even though he resided in Las Vegas 37 years ago they had no GA meetings so he had to drive 5 hours to San Diego where he attended his first meeting. Las Vegas now has the most GA meetings of any town, I believe they have over 100 meetings due to this person who is my sponsor's sponsor (got it??). I guess this makes him my grand sponsor!! He is a lovely gentleman.

Today was a very exciting day for the family. We attended my daughter's 1st grade award ceremony. It brings tears to my eyes when I look at my daughter and see how wonderful she is. (Oh, how could I do what I did knowing what a wonderful family I have? I will have to LIVE with this question the rest of my life and saying I am sorry is not nearly enough.) All of the students in her class received some type of an award whether it was a certificate of citizenship or a reading medal they all received something. My daughter has the most amazing teacher (probably) in the world. Her teacher is just like my sponsor; warm, kind, generous, patient and understanding. She is not only a wonderful teacher she is a wonderful person. Hopefully, through the grace of God my daughter will have her again for 2nd grade. There are some truly amazing people in the world and I had contact with two of them today.

No comments: