Friday, June 10, 2005

School's Out

Today was the last day of school for my wonderful first grade daughter. It is hard to imagine she is going into second grade, my where has the time gone. It seems just like yesterday we were welcoming her into the world. I will never forget the first time I saw her big beautiful blue eyes, I think she was 5 seconds old. The doctor gave her over to my wife and my daughter was not crying she was looking all over the hospital room and our eyes met, I have never seen anything more beautiful in my life, I was mesmerized. I would do anything for her.

One of the blessings that comes with my current situation is I am able to attend all of my daughter's school functions. In the past I would attend her function and run back to work, oh how silly I was!! Now, I am able to take in the whole experience. Today the 1st grades were celebrating the last day with a luau. There was a limbo contest, sack races, change your clothes and boot races, face painting, hula hoops, jump ropes and fill the bucket races. It was a wonderful way to celebrate the last day of the school year. It was quite different from my last day of first grade 32 years ago. We were required to go to school for 180 days a year and on the 180th day we went in for an hour and a half. There wasn't a luau or games to play the entire hour and a half was spent going into our new grade. We were able to see our new classroom and new teacher, that was it. I do remember going into my new teacher's classroom but we I went back in September I had a different teacher in a different classroom. I guess that is one of the perk's of having a Mother teach in the same school district. Apparently, my Mother did not want me in this particular teacher's classroom so she was able to change teachers. I think it had to do with the way the teacher taught reading but I am still not sure as to why I was switched. Mom, do you remember?

I wanted to follow-up on my first GA related phone call. I was able to follow-up with the member and appears to be doing alright. The member was a little down but that is the nature of this addiction and the key to dealing with it is HONESTY. I wasn't honest for 21 years and it cost me dearly. I understand the necessity of HONESTY in dealing with my addiction and I will practice this each day.

No comments: