Sunday, February 17, 2008

Single Digits

The other day I was sitting in my room reading a book much like I do almost everyday. In this setting no conversation is private even spoke at a whisper. I am very grateful for the living quarters as I share a room with one other person. However, since there aren’t any doors on the rooms and the only insulation is a thin piece of paneling between the rooms – sounds carry. The other day I couldn’t help but to hear a few of my dormmates talk about me. I was the “proverbial fly on the wall” and it was interesting to hear comments about myself. They were all positive and I was called the least stressed person in the camp. One of my dormmates stated, “I have never seen any as stress-free as Paulie who gets out in a week and a half, usually everyone is running around stressed out before they are to get paroled.” I smiled when I heard this and it is a correct assessment. I am quietly counting down the days and doing the same thing I have done all through this journey. There is no reason for me to cease what I have been doing and I will not. I calmly go about my business and very much look forward to February 27th. Even though on the outside I am calm – on the inside I am very excited to end this journey and start a new beginning. In the meantime I will go about my affairs and the days will pass soon enough.

Last night the weekly Scrabble match was derailed because one of our members was not available. Our friend (the one who always wins) was on a family visit and my roommate and I decided not to play a head to head match. Presumably next Saturday (if we do play) will be the last Scrabble match for me. These are fun and it amazes me still to think it took me 42 years and coming to prison in order to finally play Scrabble.

The evening last night was filled with talking and a little reading. I was able to receive 5 pieces of mail yesterday and one from an unexpected but much welcomed source. I also received Valentine’s cards from my wife and children. In the card were pictures of all of them. My children are growing up quickly and my wife as usual looked beautiful. I thought more about how I may not be able to go to NJ while I serve parole which is a bit daunting. Hopefully, my wife does rejoin me out here in California come June. I will be faced with another four months of not being able to see my children, but I really don’t want to think about the prospect of this for the next 13 months. I knew everything will work out for the best and it is only a temporary situation. However, I can’t help but to think about how much I want to be part of my children’s day-to-day lives. Seeing their pictures does make it difficult, but I trust and believe all will be well.

I have finally made it into the single digits until my release. Today marks 9 days and 1 wake-up remaining. I can officially say “I get out next week” and I have only one more Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday remaining. The final days are fast approaching and I will be a free person very shortly. Until then I will maintain my stress-free persona and continue to smile.

Finally, I would like to wish a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my Dad. It is hard to believe 4 years have already passed when the entire family was together in Florida celebrating his 60th birthday. Dad, I love you very much! I hope you had a great day!!