Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cold Shower Experience

Yesterday evening I returned back to my other dear friends’ house as my dog/house sitting duties were fulfilled. (By the way the last report I received Rudy was still feeling the effects of our walk/jog on Sunday but was moving around albeit gingerly!) There is something to be said for good conversation because this is exactly what transpires at my dear friend’s house. I was very fortunate in prison to find my roommate and we always had very good conversations and now these conversations have carried over into the “real world” with my dear friend. I am eternally grateful to my dear friends for that they have done for me and my family.

We did indeed have a very good conversation which last well past my intended bedtime but I certainly did not mind. I do seem to learn something during these conversations and it added to my very good day. I did go to sleep much later then I anticipated but I still got up to go and workout.

Over the past few days I have been contemplating whether or not I should run in the San Diego Rock n’ Roll Marathon in June. I have run this marathon twice before and it was the very first marathon I had ever run. I have been reluctant to sign up for it because this was a “family event” in the past and my family won’t be returning until July. It will feel odd being by myself for the marathon but I think I will train for it anyhow. I have printed out a training schedule from Runner’s World online and intend to adhere to this schedule in the next 10 weeks. That is correct the marathon commences on June 1st and that is only 10 weeks away. This is a positive because a few short weeks after that my family will be back.

I have a very aggressive goal for the marathon since I want to qualify for the Boston Marathon next April. I would have to run a personal best marathon in order to qualify but looking at the training schedule I believe this is attainable. I do have the time to train and now would be a great time. I have other plans as well for the next three months and I do understand the value of time. Not only do I understand the value of time but I know it can get away so quickly. I will be judicious with my time and I intend to make it count.

I surprised myself by getting out of bed very easily early this morning and headed to the gym. In the category of “some things never seem to change” the gym I attend was having maintenance issues. On Saturday some of the power went out and half the lights worked. Yesterday the power issues were still there and even more lights were out. Today the power had yet to come back and the hot water was not working. (Hmm… maybe I should have spent the extra money at another gym??)

The gym was eerie with no music or televisions playing. A person has to have a great deal of motivation to get through a workout in this type of setting and fortunately not a lot stops me from working out. I got through my workout without any problems and in fact it was a very good session. My usual routine has me shaving and then taking a shower. I shaved and notice that the hot water wasn’t getting hot but really didn’t think much of it. Then I went into the shower and again the hot water stayed cold.

In prison I took my fair share of cold showers and I was hoping to leave this aspect behind the wall (so to speak!). However, this morning I was faced with a cold shower. I had a choice which was to get in my car all sweaty (believe me I sweat like no one!) or endure the cold shower. This isn’t new for this gym as I have been faced with this in the past. In the past I would get very angry and usually drive home. Well my disposition has changed considerably because not only did I just smile I employed some of the showering techniques I learned in prison. It wasn’t quite a “bird bath” but the handicap shower did its purpose.

I doubt I will ever get used to a cold shower because it is something that is extremely uncomfortable. I do believe this would be a good form of torture!!! However, I more then made do this morning. I treated the hand held shower head like the cup used in the many “bird baths” I took in prison. I washed myself in segments and the cold water was in and out of my body very quickly. Instead of being annoyed and frustrated I dealt with the issue accordingly. Yes, some good has come of my prison experience!

This morning my Parole Agent was making a visit to the house. Fortunately, I did not have to wait around and just met the Agent after I was called at work. The Agent came in for a quick look and she couldn’t wait to get out of the house. I’m not sure why but I suppose she had other parolees to visit. I was able to inquire about going back to New Jersey for my daughter’s communion at the end of next month but received the same reply of “no”.

I had prepared a typed sheet of all the names, addresses and telephone numbers of my relatives in New Jersey. I even added the flight numbers of the airline I would take but this wasn’t even looked at. The answer remained no because it is too early in my parole to know if I am a “programmer”. “Programmer” is a prison term for someone who does the right things day in and day out. I do believe I am a “programmer” but the determination has to come from my Parole Agent who is reluctant to make this assessment so early in my parole. I also asked about possible flying back to New Jersey at the end of June early part of July so I could drive back with my family and received a “yes that is very possible”. This was a positive sign so at the very least the probability of me going to New Jersey and driving does exist.

I have no choice but to listen to my Parole Agent. I don’t want to do anything to jeopardize my standing and although I so want to be with my family next month I realize this is not possible. I will abide by the decision and maybe I can be there via cell phone as I can listen in on the communion. I certainly will be there in spirit and in three months time we will all be together in body.