Friday, March 14, 2008

Holding a Golf Club

There wasn’t any oversleeping for me this morning. I got up at the appropriate time and I didn’t even roll over. I do enjoy that time at the gym but now that I am working out by myself it is a little different then when I was in prison. I often think about my former roommate who is still at the fire camp and will still be there for the next 5 ½ months. I most often think about him during these early morning hours.

I do know exactly what he is doing by what time of day it is. I surmise at the early hour he is still working out and I would guess he is working out by himself as well. At intervals during the day I also know what he is doing. Prison life is (was for me thank God!) a highly predictable with the time structure very regimented. There really isn’t any deviation which is why it is called institutional living. Now having freedoms are exceptionally wonderful and I do my best not to get “institutional”.

I was off to the gym and with the time change last weekend it is now back to being dark at the early hour of the morning. There is quite a bit of traffic on the roads as I make my way to the gym and I surmise most of these people are commuting to either Orange County or San Diego. On a good day without any traffic these destinations can be reached within an hour but the good days are few and far between so I don’t envy any of these commuters.

I am back to being a “regular” at the gym and just walking in without any problems. I can walk in when the regular attendant is on duty but when his relief works that is when I had the problem of not being a member. However; I won’t have to worry about this anymore because today I renewed or actually “signed up” for a membership.

I was holding out for my old rate of $149 a year and today I received a phone call from a sales member offering me that rate. As of yesterday this rate was not available but somehow the rate became available. I didn’t pitch a fit yesterday when I learned the new rates in fact I said nothing other than asking for the old rate. The “Power of Attraction” is real and this may not be the best example but I wanted the old rate and got it without any real issues. This “Power of Attraction” is alive and well in my life and continues to amaze me. The minor miracle at work yesterday was the “Power of Attraction” at work.

Since the minor miracle appeared I was actually able to draw a paycheck. I’m not sure if that is the proper term since I am a “consultant” and don’t draw a “paycheck” rather the Counseling Center paid my invoice and in turn I paid myself. This is certainly a positive and the dollar amount was much higher then I had envisioned. I had a number in my head which was practically doubled by my boss so I had to agree with him. I don’t know when the next time my invoice will be paid so I will enjoy it while it lasts.

The money certainly helps and hopefully if we can get things turned around I would have a perfect job. I am doing something I like even though it is “accounting” work and I hadn’t realized how much I learned from my previous job. Prior to my previous job I was in an esoteric accounting position never doing any real work. I moved from an esoteric position into a more real position and learned so much. This has helped me with my new position and my attitude couldn’t be any better.

The other evening at the GA meeting a long time member came to the meeting who usually attends other meetings. This was the first time I had met this member and I was so impressed. My boss also met this member for the first time and he too was impressed. Somehow we got on the discussion of playing golf which my boss enjoys and so do I. This member just started playing but is a member of a very nice country club that I had heard wonderful things about. One thing lead to another and the next thing I know this member was inviting my boss and me to play golf with him at this prestigious country club next week. We both gladly accepted the invitation.

With this news meant I had to dig my golf clubs out of storage. I have a set of clubs at my good friend’s house in Las Vegas because that was the last time I played golf before I went “away”. My good friend is coming to visit me at the end of the month and will be bringing the clubs with him. In the meantime I made my way over to our storage unit and dug out my extra set of golf clubs. I had forgotten I still have a few sets of golf clubs and several golf bags. I was able to find them and although they were all the way in the back of the storage unit I got them out without any incidents.

I took the golf clubs to the driving range and I literally had to dust them off because they were dusty. They say golf is a muscle memory game and I was wondering if my muscle would remember anything after having not swung a club in over 20 months. It took awhile but my muscles sort of remembered and I was hitting the ball fairly well. I noticed I have developed a slice which is a bit different from the past where I had a hook.

Nevertheless it felt great to be out on a driving range hitting golf balls. Sure I hit some terrible shots but instead of getting angry I just laughed it off. The fact that I am able to hit golf balls is enough for me an no matter what my score maybe there is no such thing as a bad day on a golf course or driving range for that matter. Yes, today was a great day.