Saturday, March 15, 2008

GA Birthday Extravaganza

Any GA meeting is a special but there are the “extra” special meetings and today was one of them. We were celebrating the “birthdays” of four members. There was 5th birthday, two 3rd birthdays and 1st birthday. I was in the 3rd birthday category along with a dear friend. My boss was celebrating his 5th and the other member who really grasps the principles of the Program her 1st birthday.

Normally the Saturday morning GA meeting has between 15 to 20 participants. Due to the birthday celebrations those numbers swelled to 50. I was amazed as the turnout and people came from faraway places; some drove 70 plus miles one-way and with gas prices what they are this was the Program working its miracles once again. The meeting lasted 3 hours which may sound like a long time but I enjoyed every second of those three hours.

My dear friends in the Program had an unusual celebration for my second year in the Program as we celebrated this in the fire camp’s visiting area. I was out in the free world for my first birthday and that meeting was extraordinary special. It was one of the most spiritual meetings I have ever attended. A few members even brought up that meeting two years ago when they spoke today. At that meeting my wife and children were by my side and that was the only thing missing from today’s meeting. I had a wonderful time and the Program is beyond reproach.

There was a member who was attending their first meeting because they believed they have a compulsive gambling addiction. Birthday meetings could be very difficult on a first time member because there is so much laughter all through the meeting. Usually the new member comes in crying and today was no exception. My first meeting was not a birthday celebration and I know I was confused.

I can hardly imagine what was going on in this new member’s mind seeing all the smiles and laughter. Three years later I know the smiles and laughter are all products of the Program. If it were somber in every meeting we wouldn’t have any members. I don’t know what the new member thought but to me it shows there is life and a great life that can be achieved without gambling. I do hope this new member comes back

I have found so many wonderful, caring, giving and loving people and today was truly a celebration. We were there to celebrate the birthdays which are always good milestones; however; to me it is a celebration of Gamblers Anonymous. Without Gamblers Anonymous I would be lost in abyss. I was headed into this abyss three years ago not knowing which end was up and today the abyss no longer exists. It has been replaced with warmth, sincerity and the genuine kindness of incredible people.

I can say with certainty that I would not be in the position I am currently in without Gamblers Anonymous. GA continues to save my life everyday and as if that weren’t enough the Program gives my life positive meaning. I have searched all my life for a way to quit gambling. I tried to quit on my own but failed miserably. In GA I know I am never alone and it is truly fantastic. Life without gambling through the GA Program is magnificent.

I would like to thank everyone in attendance today for all their kind words. This blog was mentioned on numerous occasions. I started this blog almost three years ago as a way express my thoughts and it has turned into a large part of my recovery.

Through the 19 months of my prison sentence I handwrote thousands of pagers and through the kindness and generosity of my wife, mother and a dear friend those words were transcribed to these pages. It is a lifeline of sorts for me and has kept me connected to the real world. Once again I thank everyone for the courage, wisdom, hope, faith and love they had expressed today. It was an incredible day and yet another one of the many blessings in my life.