Monday, March 24, 2008

Smiling is Incredible!

Yet another holiday has come and gone without much fanfare. These days to tick on by so quickly and I am doing my best to stay present. I do have glimpses on this summer as my family will return but I am certainly doing my best with each and everyday.

Today being a Monday is a start of another work week. I look forward to waking up everyday and today was no exception. This was the last evening I would spend out our friends’ house and the last evening I got to hang out with Rudy. Rudy seemed to be feeling better this morning when I let him outside. Yesterday after the jog he was having difficulty walking in the fact he just didn’t want to walk! I had to carry him outside because he wanted nothing to do with leaving his little area inside the house. He needed to do his “duties” and when he was finished I dragged him back inside.

I felt for the poor dog and did my best to make him feel comfortable. There wasn’t any walking around during the evening by Rudy as I am sure he didn’t want to walk at all. He was able to go outside by himself this morning so this was a step in the right direction. I bided him adieu and it had been a pleasure hanging out with him for the week.

I can see why people have dogs and I can really see why people who live alone have pets. My former roommate had two dogs and he loved those dogs just like children. I completely understand and there is a bond. Someday in the near future we as a family will get a dog and hopefully this dog will be as congenial as Rudy.

I did get up very easily this morning and headed over to the gym. My workouts are great and I learned something from my time “inside” regarding working out that change is indeed good. In the past I would get complacent with my workout but after having worked out with my former roommate he taught me the value of changing the workout often.

It was ironic because as I was flipping around the channels yesterday I stopped on an infomercial that espoused this very concept. I watched for a few minutes and it was the first exercise infomercial that didn’t offer an easy way out. I’m not sure of the cost and I don’t know how many people would be interested in working out this hard but I found it fascinating. The infomercial was exactly what my roommate would talk about. I do enjoy the change and my workouts are so much better now then they have ever been.

Yesterday evening I even had the opportunity to actually watch “60 Minutes” for the first time since my release. My “viewing” of this program was limited to listening to it on the radio and sometimes the reception wasn’t so good. I not only heard the program but I also viewed the video portion (what a concept!!). This program has been on for as long as I can remember and I believe this has always been one of my father’s favorite television shows and I know why. The program is well done and the concept is great. I did enjoy the program tremendously.

Today was a very good day at work as I had to run a few errands. It was great getting out of the office in the afternoon and this time it was all work related. Not only does the Counseling Center where I work employ fantastic people the people who we deal with are so very nice. In years gone by I may have had a pre-conceived notion about a place like this but having an open mind has open my eyes to wonders.

The simple task of getting in the car and driving somewhere is still fresh and beautiful to me. I cared less about the traffic and even my driving has improved. In the past I would always exceed the speed limit but now in my quest to do the right thing I obey all posted speed limits. I must say a good majority of the drivers were passing me but it didn’t matter to me. What matter to me was that I was free to do what I needed to do and the smile is etched on my face to prove it!!