Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Still Smiling

Tomorrow will mark two weeks since my release from prison and those two weeks have flown by so quickly. I am back in the working world and now I understand how time can get away fast. I have developed a routine (no surprise there!) where I get up early (not as early as when I was in prison but still early), go to the gym for at least a two hour workout. While in prison I could break up my routine into sections which probably allowed me to gain a few pounds in those 19 months.

Yes, I actually gained 8 pounds in that time and no one (other than me) noticed. I would workout with my roommate with the weights for almost two hours and later in the day I would embark on some type of aerobic activity be it running or hiking. I have come to realize those aerobic sessions weren’t nearly as intense as my regular gym aerobic sessions. Sure I used to run for two hours and then some but the intensity level was certainly lower.

Now that I am actually back inside the gym I go through an hour sometimes longer weight workout followed by at least an hour aerobic workout. I am alternating between the treadmill and stationery bicycle each day of my work out. Last week I went four consecutive days before taking a day off and surprisingly that one day led into three. It led into three because I had prior obligations in the morning and I didn’t feel like getting up at 3:00 am just to get my workout in. I do believe I am more in tune with my body then ever and if I miss a few workouts then so be it.

This week I worked out three consecutive days without taking a day off and that day off was this morning. I have been going to sleep so much later now then when I was in prison. My normal routine would be to be in bed by 9:00 pm and now I am fortunate to be in bed by 11:00 pm. There is certainly so much more to do out in the “free” world. Also; I am getting a more peaceful sleep then I have in the last 19 months since there isn’t anyone coming into my room and shining a flashlight in my eyes at 2:00 am! My head hits the pillow and I won’t wake up until it is time to get up.

I am still able to get along without an alarm and I was surprised on Sunday morning when I actually woke up an hour later then normal all due to the clocks going ahead. In years gone by I have troubling sleeping the night the clocks go ahead but not this year. It is so nice to have a down pillow and to sleep in a real bed as opposed to the oversized crib bed I had been sleeping in for the past 9 months.

I don’t rush in the morning and today I actually watched the first 15 minutes of the Today Show. The big story was about Elliot Spitzer and I don’t need to go any further because the story is everywhere. I will say karma does play a rather large role in everyone’s life and Mr. Spitzer is experiencing this firsthand.

The critical component for me is to stay peaceful, serene and calm. The “free”/”real” world has more negative influences then the “captive” world and really the “captive” world did not reflect the “real” world. It was almost like a sanctuary and believe it or not I am a very happy for the experience but I want to live in the “free” world as if it were a sanctuary (if any of this makes any sense??). The days go by fast and I am doing everything in my power to make the days count in a positive manner. The smile is still etched on my face. There are some very real challenges with my new position but I know everything will workout for the very best because it always does.

As I write this I am waiting for the GA meeting to begin. The GA meetings for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday are in the same offices where I work so on Monday and Tuesday I have long days. I am not complaining because GA is a huge part of my life and I want and need GA in my life since it continues to save my life and give it purpose. I have gone to four GA meetings in the past four days and this appears to be my schedule for awhile at least until my family rejoins me in the summer. My day’s maybe routine but I relish this routine with a positive attitude.