Monday, March 17, 2008

What's Moderation??

I am certainly keeping much later nights then in the previous 19 months. I think the one and only time I stayed awake past 10:00 pm in those months was on New Year’s Eve of this past year and that was all due to my roommate. Now 2 ½ weeks into my freedom I have yet to fall asleep prior to this time. I am waking up later then previous and I realize my body needs a requisite amount of sleep. This morning I had all the intentions of working out but due to my 3 plus hour session yesterday and staying awake much later then usual I was better served rolling over.

I stayed awaked last night talking with my good friend about a variety of subjects. I enjoyed the conversation very much and found it very insightful. I always learn something when I speak with my dear friend and I realized that my dear friend and my former roommate share similar views. This is interesting because they are on opposite sides of the political spectrum yet the end result is the same. Getting to the end result is different for them but ultimately the goals are the same. It is amazing how people can share opposite political views and yet share the same hopes.

My political views fall somewhere in the middle and I have vacillated over the years. Early on in my life I was a huge supporter of President Nixon (this could explain a great deal about how I ended where I ended up for the last 19 months!!) much like Michael J. Fox’s character Alex Keaton on the television show “Family Ties”. I was almost 9 years old when President Nixon resigned and I remember feeling bad. As I matured oh ok as I grow older my political views became more moderate. I am not a “leftist” by no means nor am I a staunch conservative. I do aspire to the middle ground.

I listen to people with liberal view and I listen to people with conservative views and their ideas do sound good. I do believe problems arise outside the mainstream on the fringes whereas a staunch liberal goes too far and a staunch conservative the same. I do believe life is all about moderation which has certainly lacked in my life. I do my best to attain moderation but I have a long way to go.

Anyhow; I didn’t workout this morning but I did venture over to another dear friends’ house where I will be dog/house-sitting for the week. I wanted to ensure their dog (who is a sweet Golden Retriever) was let out this morning and he was outside when I got their. I will be staying there this week and I look forward to walking him daily. I could take him for a run but I think walking for a few days before running maybe a better plan. I don’t want to run the poor dog to death.

After checking on the dog I went to the office. I spent the better part of the morning reconciling an item which wasn’t reconciling very easily. I had a brain malfunction and broke down the account every which way I could. Finally after a few hours I realized what I was doing wrong and it finally reconciled. I do have a little rust which I need to shake off. The rest of my day was reviewing a contract with the same department I am currently affiliated with. Ironies are a constant in my life and this is yet another. We should be taking on new business shortly and this new business is something I am intimately involved with.

I did speak with another dear friend today for the first time since my release. This is a very good friend whom I have only known for the past 3 years. He is such a nice, kind and gentle person. We had a wonderful conversation. Part of that conversation was about the dreaded “book” which I will write someday. I have been getting more and more pushes to write the book and with this I have been getting more and more ideas for the book.

Finally, I spoke with another person and this was the person who came to visit me while I was in prison because of an investigation he was doing on my previous employer. We chatted for awhile and made tentative lunch plans for the future. I don’t know where this will lead but I am always willing to listen.