Monday, March 31, 2008

Stop Being Selfish

I started my day today a little different as I babysat for my dear friends this morning. (I am always amused by the words baby-sit and baby-sat. I did my best to NOT sit on the babies and I would venture to guess sitting on babies is not exactly what the parents have in mind!! I guess the better term would be baby “monitor” but that doesn’t have the same zing as baby-sit!!) I was happy to forgo my morning workout for spending an hour with my friends’ children. I have mentioned they are much younger then my children and the youngest one is indeed a baby.

There is something to be said of a 7 month old who is still not able to crawl. This did bring back memories of my daughter and son at that age. I have always said that mobility for little ones was overrated and once they get mobile it really is all over. This 7 month old is right at the age of being angelic. He sits and laughs more then he cries which is always a positive. I doubt the non-mobility will last much longer and once he gains mobility status look out because he will want to keep up with his older brother.

My dear friend gave me a 15 minute reprieve as he came home earlier then I expected. This was not necessary but much appreciated and I did enjoy my different start to the day as I headed out for another work week. Work is another word that I find humorous because to me inherently the word work has negative connotations. I don’t know a substitute for the word work because going to the “office” sounds so mundane. I will stick with the word work but to me it is anything but negative and in my situation it is a blessing. I once again had a smile on my face as I drove into the office.

The situation surrounding my work could be construed stressful; however; I do see opportunities instead of problems. My hopes are to capitalize on these opportunities in a positive manner. I am not one to stress out about the situation and I do know whatever is in store for me will be great. This brings me to an advertisement I heard on the radio while I was driving to work. This week a company is having a seminar on positive being and the theme is positive mastery of oneself.

I was intrigued with the advertisement and went to the website. I was thinking about signing up for the free seminar and may still do this later on this week. The website was filled with things I continue to learn from Dr. Wayne Dyer in the “Power of Intention”. It truly is about positive living as opposed to positive thinking. I believe the thinking must be sent into practice which really makes it positive being.

I have something in my mind that I want to do and it will come to fruition very soon. I do my best to practice positive being and it would be great to hear more of this from a different perspective. I know everything happens for a reason and there are no coincidences in life. Having no coincidences in life means everything does serve a purpose and life without any purpose is simply no life. This is why my life does have a purpose and gets better each and everyday.

This afternoon I spoke with my family like I do everyday. I spoke at length with my 7 year old son who is becoming quite the professional wrestling fan. He would have fit very well in at the fire camp because the nights they aired the professional wrestling matches the television room was filled. I on the other hand am not a big fan of professional wrestling; however; when I was my son’s age I did watch it religiously every Saturday morning.

Thirty-five years ago wrestling could be found on one off channel and today it is a multi-billon dollar industry; however; the concepts haven’t changed; good versus evil. I was happy to hear my son was rooting more for the “good” characters over the “bad” characters. My wife is not exactly enamored with the fact that my son watches professional wrestling especially when he uses some of the moves on his 10 year old sister!!

I do have mixed thoughts because on one hand it is gratuitous violence but on the other hand he is 7 years old and when I was 7 years old I was interested in the same thing. The key is to find the balance and I’m not sure how that is achieved but I can’t wait to be with him full-time so we can either watch wrestling together or not watch wrestling together. The key to that last statement was the word “together” because that means the world to me being together.

I also spoke to my wife about the prospect of having the children come out to visit me for a long weekend and it appears this will not happen. The issues are money and finding the time where the children won’t miss their activities. The weekends are booked until June with their activities and my wife certainly can’t take the time off from work to come out here. I have had some very generous offers from family and friends which have been overwhelming. I do want to see my children as soon as possible but I do understand the situation and I can wait until July to see them. This will be when we drive back across country and we will be a family once again.

I have been selfish in wanting to see my children before July and I have to stop feeling selfish. It is not about me it is about all of us and I can wait three more months to see them. I do miss them tremendously but time passes by quickly and as my father pointed out last night “too quickly” some times!! The time will pass and we will be all together once again, this is what matters most being truly with my family in mind and body. I love them and I will stop being selfish.