Thursday, March 06, 2008

Monthly Meeting

Life is certainly so much better on the "outside" as opposed to being on the "inside". I do have a "leash" which has been placed around me that is called parole. I do prefer the "leash" over being incarcerated anyday of the week. Today I had my monthly meeting with my Parole Agent. I am required to check-in once a week with my Parole Agent which takes place the first Thursday of the month. I have other parole conditions such as not being able to maintain a checking account, debit card, credit card nor can I have access to any financial instruments as part of my job. Also; I am not allowed to venture on Native American land. These conditons should be released in thirteen months as I complete parole. There is no guarantee I will be released in thirteen months since my parole terms are for 3 years. I have been told that if I abide by all my conditions and don't cause any concerns for my Parole Agent I should be discharged from parole at the end of 13 months which would be March 27, 2008.

I need to go back to last week when I first met with my Parole Agent. My wife picked me up right on time at 8:00 am from the fire camp and I was so happy to see her. From there we went directly to the Parole office. Prior to my departure from the fire camp I was given my parole sheet which has a section for "special conditions". This section was left blank and I thought this was a positive aspect since I would only have to abide by the regular conditions of parole. These regular conditions consist of not being able to travel beyond 50 miles of my home address without permission of my Parole Agent, not owning a firearm and a few other simple conditions. I was a bit concerned about the "special conditions" so when I noticed this section was left blank I was very happy.

My happiness was short lived as my Parole Agent took upon herself to implement the "special conditions" I wrote about in the previous paragraph. I have mentioned this before and I will reiterate I will abide by whatever conditions that have been placed because life on the outside is so much better than life on the inside. Fortunately I have a very understanding boss who understands my special conditions so instead of being an employee I am an independent contractor supplying consultanting services. This means I have no access to financial instruments.

As part of the regular parole conditions parolees are required to submit to a urnie analysis for drug testing purposes. Last week when I initial met with the Parole Agent I submitted to a urine analysis. As the Agent perused through my file she realized I didn't have any drug related charges and informed me she would no longer require me to submit to the urnie analysis. This is not a big deal to me as I have never taken any illegal drugs my entire life. The only very slight issue for me is being able to "go" and last week I had no problem. Today as soon as the Agent greeted me I was given a vial for a urine analysis. I didn't say anything but I gave the Agent a bit of a look and I was met with "sometimes I may require you (me) to test". I didn't mind and fortunately I didn't have any problem "going" this morning. I do understand how the rules are very subjective as the Parole Department is part of the Prison System where I have served over 19 months adapting to the ever changing rules.

When I was finished with the urine analysis test I was done in the eyes of the Agent. I did have a few questions because I don't want to do anything wrong. I asked if I could attend the California Council for Problem Gambling's Board Meeting this Saturday in Los Angeles. Since the meeting will take place over 50 miles away from where I am living I needed permission which was granted without issue. I then asked if I could house/dog sit for our friends later this month for a week. I thought it would be a good idea to inform my Agent that I would be residing at another house for a week. Once again this was not a problem and was granted permission. I had prepared two sheets with all of this information and gave them to my Agent. She seemed to be very grateful for this.

Finally I asked if I could go to New Jersey for my daughter's first Holy Communion ceremony next month. I was emphatically denied this request. I did ask why and was told it is too early in my parole and with my crime the likelihood of me returning to California is in question. I did find that last statement a little perplexing since I had prepared a sheet with all my contact information in New Jersey which can be verified well in advance of my departure. I also asked about providing a bond or even having a chaperone but the Agent did not seem to listen to these suggestions. The Agent then said she was thinking like her Supervisor so I asked if I could speak to the Supervisor. Yes, I could speak with the supervisor but they were not in this morning so I would need to call them tomorrow.

I am in a bit of a quandary because on the one hand I really want to see my children and I especially want to attend my daughter's communion ceremony. However; on the other hand I don't want to jeopardize my standing with the Parole Agent by going over her head. I do believe the less the Agent has to do with me the better it is. At this point I am not sure whether I will call the Supervisor. I need to think more about it and maybe one more month of building some credibility with the Agent would help. Also; I do want to go back to New Jersey in June when my family is ready to rejoin me as we can drive back across country. June maybe more feasible then April so I have something to think about. Yes, my wife did inform me she and the children will be rejoining me in California when the children finish school in June. My wife told me this as soon as she picked me up from the fire camp last week. Everything is coming together wonderfully and my life is extraordinary.