Saturday, September 15, 2007

Awesome Visit and a Surprise!


PART ONE


I had no doubt today was going to be a great day but when my roommate was given his 4:00 am wake up call with “rise and shine”, I knew it was going to be that great a day! I woke up prior to the greeting and I had to chuckle when I heard those cheerful words. My poor roommate who has been so sleep deprived over the course of this week was not smiling and was in somewhat of a fog. I did get a big kick out of this greeting and thought it was an awesome way to start the day. I remained staying in bed another hour before getting up.

After my exercise routine, I took my time cleaning up. I took longer than usual shaving and showering. I did want to look good for my mother and sister. I didn’t expect them to arrive when visiting opened at 8:30 am because they arrived late last night into Palm Springs which is over an hour away. I milled about outside eagerly eyeing the visiting area for their arrival. I noticed four people approach and thought this couldn’t be them because it was just my mother and sister who were coming. I turned away and continued talking to a fellow inmate. About a minute later, my name was announced on the loudspeaker informing me I had a visit. I didn’t see my mom or sister walk up so I thought I had missed them when I heard my name called. My heart started racing as I made my way to the office to check-in for the visit. I walked down to the visiting area and as I approached, I spotted my dear mother waving to me. I waved back and then made my way into the visiting area where I saw my sister and two of my cherished friends standing with her. The two dear friends from Las Vegas who visited me last month came today as a surprise and to also visit with my mother and sister. All of them are staying in Palm Springs. I was pleasantly surprised to see our beloved friends. It was going to be even more of an extra special visit with these amazing friends.

I was greeted with warm embraces from everyone. It was incredibly wonderful to hug my mother and sister. My mother looked great and my sister looked fabulous. It is hard to believe I have not seen either of them in 14 months. This is the longest I have ever gone. I don’t know what it is but within minutes it was like old times chatting with my sister, mother, and friends and it was as if I had seen them only a few days ago. It reminded me so much of the good times we used to have when all of us were together!

The visit was magnificent – the only downside was time seemed to accelerate even faster. The first time I looked at my watch, it was noon and I wondered where those first 3 hours had gone. I had a glorious time talking, listening, and laughing. The day was spent with four people who have touched my life in so many ways. My mother did tell me that my eyes were at peace, finally. My goodness how much I missed my mother and sister. These two have been there for me ever since this journey started 2 ½ years ago. Their love and support have been unwavering and I am eternally grateful. I am so blessed with so much love.

The time we spent together went by so fast and I am very happy that my mother and sister will return tomorrow. Our dear friends will be returning to Las Vegas tomorrow morning so the visit will be spent with my mother and sister. I cannot believe how fast today went, but I am grateful to have been able to visit with all four of them today. We were given the 10 minute warning and they started their departure. Once again warm hugs were given and my dear friends told me they will come back to visit again. I thanked them so much for coming and waved as they walked to the car. Just like that, the visit was over but I get to do it again tomorrow.

As fate would have it, my old crew was called out on a fire later this afternoon. Had I been on the crew, I would have been hard pressed to stay here for the visit tomorrow because technically, I am allowed one visit as a hardship when the visitor arrives from over 250 miles away. Thankfully, I no longer have to concern myself with this anymore and I will be here tomorrow for their return visit which I am so looking forward to.

PART TWO


After the visit, I was basking in the glow and telephoned my wife. Since I didn’t talk with my children on Thursday, I called back today. It was great to speak with them especially after seeing the pictures of the Jamaican vacation. Strangely both of my children didn’t sound like themselves and did sound a little down. As it turned out, they were just hungry as they hadn’t eaten dinner. We briefly spoke about the funeral this week and my daughter was the most forthcoming as she said, “Did Mommy tell you about great grandma?” My son on the other hand had an interesting response when I asked him about the funeral as he said, “It was good.” Oh, the perspective of a 6 year old who’s biggest care is playing baseball. I had to laugh when I heard his response because even though he shares the same genes as his sister, the two of them have very different personalities. However, both of them are excellent children and will grow up to be magnificent adults. Today was a highlight day in my prison career and I am blessed in everyway, shape, and form!