Sunday, September 16, 2007

Visit Second Round

Oh, yes, I was on a “high” from the wonderful visit with my mother, sister, and two very special friends! The rest of yesterday went by quickly. I even found myself inside the television room watching the college football game between USC and Nebraska. After the blowout of the game, I went back to my room. On the way back I spoke with an inmate who is a seasoned veteran in everyway. He certainly “gets it” and I enjoyed our conversation very much. I understood every word and I was very happy to have this conversation. I found my way back to my room where my roommate and another friend from “The View” were talking. I joined in and we continued with another interesting conversation. I was able to drift off to sleep with a smile on my face looking forward to the second round of the visit with my mother and sister.

They arrived right on time as the visiting area opened. In fact they were a tad bit early and were admonished for this. I watched them walk into the visiting area and subsequently my name was announced over the loud speaker. I happily walked down and was greeted with a warm hug by my sister. This was followed up by another warm hug by my mother. Today they came bringing lots of food and did fulfill my requests from yesterday. Yesterday my dear friends who stayed at the same hotel as my mother and sister bought many items to take to the fire camp so my mother and sister didn’t have to stop to buy these. Again, these are wonderful people in my life. (Side note – I do feel funny when people who come to visit me ask what they could bring and what I would want. I tried to avoid this yesterday but was unable to. The truth is I am honored when anyone comes to visit me and food is a complete afterthought. I would be happy with just the company and feel odd replying to the request of “What can we bring you?”) However, my mother and sister pinned me down yesterday REQUIRING a request from me. I hesitantly asked for eggplant parmagiana, foccacia bread with balsamic vinegar, apples with yogurt, and Arizona Tea – light half lemonade and half iced tea. They were able to bring everything and more with the exception of the drink. They went to a restaurant in Palm Springs just to pick up the eggplant (which was not on the menu – and the chef prepared it exclusively). I continue to be amazed with the generosity, kindness, and love which my mother and sister have bestowed upon me. I am so grateful for everything.

Today went even faster than yesterday and I enjoyed every moment. The food was delicious as they even brought corn on the cob which we cooked on the grill. The corn was very sweet and no one needed butter. I’m not sure where the day went because once again we talked, laughed, and ate the entire time. Our conversations covered a wide array of topics and I especially enjoyed the stories about my children. These past two days were incredible. I’m not sure if they will return in the next 5 ½ months and if they do not, I have enough great memories to carry me through. The strange part about it is I cannot remember the last time I had six uninterrupted hours with my mother and sister alone. I’m not sure if this has ever happened in the past. There is so much positive which has come out of my entire journey and yesterday and today exemplifies the blessings in my life. I am a very fortunate person with so much love and support from many people especially my dear mother and dear sister.

The visit had come to an end and I could view it as bittersweet. However, nothing about it is bitter. Yes, they did depart today back to Palm Springs and will be heading back to Colorado tomorrow. I may not see them for another six months, but I am focused on the sweet. I have always had an exceptional family in so many ways and appreciatively I have finally recognized this. I love them with all my heart and what started out as heartbreak 2 ½ years ago has turned into a heartfelt love. I feel this love to my inner core and I am blessed to be in their presence. My life is a fantastic journey and I am experiencing only positives. I have 5 ½ months before I am able to join the free world which will allow me to see all the loving people in my life – not just on the weekends. Recovery is wonderful and my life is wonderful. I had a fantastic weekend and thank my mother, sister, and two very dear friends for filling my heart with love! I love all of you so much!!