Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Is Parole Changing?

I was able to commandeer a local newspaper yesterday. There was an article regarding a pilot program which will start in mid-November. The program is designed to reduce the parole period for certain parolees to six months. The parolees must be nonviolent and be at a very low risk. The program will be initiated in Orange County, and if successful, this will roll out to all counties by mid 2008. The unfortunate part is I will not be paroling to Orange County, so I would be ineligible for this program. The article did not get into specifics regarding when it would be rolled out in all counties, only mentioning mid 2008. I parole in early 2008, and I wonder if this could be applied retroactively to me shortening my parole period to just six months. Of course, I have no way of knowing, nor will I know until next year. Six months of being on parole is much better than 13 months or three years, which is required. Apparently, much of the overcrowding is due to parolees who violate parole. According to the article, a little less than 50% of the entire prison population in California is comprised of parole offenders. This appears to be a step in the right direction, and I only hope it will apply to me next year. Only time will tell, but this is very encouraging news.Autumn is in the air, and if history is any predictor, we are not finished with summer yet; however, the change has been noticeable, and I have been told the winter does get cold. The fact that winter is fast approaching is certainly a positive. My release date is March 2nd, and I am getting closer. I made it through Jamestown in the wintertime, and I will make it through here.The morning began with my exercise routine. The bathrooms got cleaned last night as a few inmates were fulfilling their extra duty assignments. This made for easy work for me this morning as. It seems these days are starting to accelerate even faster now that I have gotten in a rhythm. I read for an hour, and the morning was over. Lunchtime was spent outside enjoying the beautiful weather followed by my Tuesday double workout session. These days have hit a certain rhythm, and even though not much differs from day to day, they do go by quickly, and I continue to gain more peace of mind with every passing day. It was wonderful to hear my mother tell me that I look like I am at peace. This is so true because I am at peace, and the combination of my recovery along with progressing through this journey gives me the peace I have been seeking for so long. My days are tranquil, peaceful, and serene. I will carry this with me as I parole to the free world. I am finding my true self, and no matter the outside situation, I will continue to stay centered which provides much of the peace I have found. Things in the outside world happen all the time, and as long as I stay centered, life will be peaceful, serene, and tranquil. I continue to change my thoughts, and subsequently, my life has changed for the better in every way possible.