Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Visits are The Best Part

I fell asleep listening to a CD by Amy Winehouse who apparently is very hot in the music world. She has a unique powerful, sultry, bluesy voice and sounds nothing like she looks. She is what I would consider an “Old Soul” because she is all of 20 years old but her voice has incredible range. One of my friends lent me the CD and this is not something I would normally listen to, but I was happy I did. It’s fantastic and I highly recommend it. I also understand she has some drug dependency issues; hopefully, she will be on the right road to recovery because she has a big, bright, beautiful future ahead of her.

Even though it is Saturday, I woke up at my normal time so I could exercise. I didn’t think I would have any visits today because most of my visits occur on Sundays so I had the extra bowl of oatmeal along with a great treat. My friend, who works in the kitchen had a half gallon of rice milk and I had 2 glasses. I really have missed my specialty foods because the rice milk was delicious. I am so fortunate in every way imaginable and also grateful for everything in my life.

After breakfast I went back to my room and rearranged my locker since I am no longer on the fire crew I don’t need to pack a bag for the long distance fires. I needed to make room for all my clothes so I spent sometime rearranging and then sat down to read. I read about 2 pages and I heard my name called over the loudspeaker. Oh my, I had visitors today! Thankfully, I did shave and all I had to do was to put on my orange shirt and headed toward the visiting area. As I walked down, I noticed it was my two very dear friends who hold the record for the most visits with me. These are two incredibly special people and I was so happy to see them. With all the fires over the pat few weeks, I have been without a visit in 3 of those weeks. The best part of being at fire camp are truly the visits. My dear friends have been incredible because they make it a point to come and visit me. Normally they come on Sundays so I was very surprised to see them today. As soon as I saw them my heart warmed and I got a sensation up my spine. I love these two people so much! I have only known them a little over 2 ½ years, but we are so connected. I am so appreciative of their friendship and everything they have done for me.

The visit was excellent as always, and the reason they came today was because they are having family over their house tomorrow and Monday for the Labor Day Holiday. They made it a point to see me this morning and I was beyond honored. Of course they brought plenty of food but my friend did apologize for not bringing enough. There was certainly enough food and we didn’t even touch the watermelon. We talked, munched, talked some more and ate. They visited for 3 hours and this time went by so quickly. I love their visits and it is truly the highlight of my prison experience. My friend informed me the GA meeting/visit is scheduled for next Sunday, September 9th and I will certainly be here for that visit. The week after that my mom and sister will be here for their visit. I cannot wait to see them because it has been much too long.

Their visit had come to an end because they had to prepare for their family tomorrow at their home. These are great people and I am blessed by their presence. We cleaned up all the wonderful food and they departed with warm hugs and kisses. As they left, I stayed behind finishing the diet root beer while chatting with the 2 CO’s at the visitors entrance. One of them is the nicest CO I have met through this journey. It is no secret that I am a vegetarian and most inmates along with the CO’s I know. I do enjoy talking about my peculiar eating habits and what I know about nutrition. Our conversation was very nice and I proceeded back to camp. On my way back, I passed another CO who is nothing like the extremely pleasant one. I did my best to make a joke about something he was carrying but my joke fell flat. I kept walking and realized how different people can be. One is so pleasant and the other walks around with the weight of the world on his back yet they both have the same position. I did manage an internal smile as I walked back to camp because being positive, cheerful, and enthusiastic is a much better way to live life. Thankfully, I choose to be positive each and everyday.

I arrived back at camp and noticed the payroll for August was posted on the board. This was a good month for fire fighters and some inmates earned in excess of $500.00. I earned $288.00 for the month which isn’t too bad and after restitution is deducted, I will have roughly $130. deposited into my prison account. The days of me earning fire money are over and I will earn $30.00 a month which will bring me $13.50 after restitution is deducted. Some inmates are able to save a few thousand dollars after serving 2 or more fire seasons. I know every little bit helps at this stage but I also know once I get released, I will earn a solid living for my family.

After checking the payroll, I made my way over to the telephones. I was able to call my wife who was at the Jersey Shore with her sister, mother, and our children. I spoke with my son and daughter who sounded great as they just emerged from the ocean. Both of them are looking forward to starting school which is a blessing. They had a very busy summer and life is moving along very well for all of them. My wife has started her new job and it too is progressing well. I can’t wait to see my wife when she comes out for a family visit in November. We need this time alone and it will be fantastic, as will our lives. There are some unanswered questions regarding the future while being on parole. These questions will be answered soon enough.

I headed back to my room where I basked in the morning’s excellent visit. I reflected on all the good in my life and there is ONLY good in my wife. I am blessed and grateful for everyone and every moment.