Friday, September 28, 2007

Test in Patience

My mother was kind enough to send me 3 novels by her favorite author, Harlan Coben. I asked for them and she graciously sent them. As I was picking them up in the office, I quickly became confused because I was informed in a very subtle manner that I could only receive packages from approved vendors and Amazon was not on that list. I did receive the books and I thought we could receive them from any publisher (directly) or bookseller such as Amazon or Barnes and Nobel but in my reluctance to question authority, I remained silent. This may have been a miscommunication and my hope is that books can come from those areas because the approved vendor list appeared to only be for quarterly packages. I am very fortunate to receive anything and I was very grateful for the books.

As I was picking these up, I inquired about the possible family visit I would like to have with my wife in November. Three weeks ago I thought I had committed a capital offense when I first asked about the visit. Well, last night “Could you please remind me what the issue was,” was the response I received. Thankfully, I am a very patient person and I didn’t make any exasperated gestures (even though inside I was truly frustrated.) I did refresh the issue and apparently no follow-up has been performed. This is what I had expected and I had to take a deep breath and say, “Thank you.” In summary, I am no closer to scheduling the family visit then I was three weeks ago when I inquired. The good thing is I wasn’t read the “riot act” this time so everything (even though it doesn’t seem this way) is progressing.

I called my wife last night to tell her about the meeting. She wasn’t expecting my telephone call until today but nevertheless, it is always great to hear her voice. I did most of the talking recounting the meeting and following up on the IRS paperwork I had sent her. Apparently, my wife is a few steps ahead of me as she had already received this paperwork along with talking to her tax attorney. He is hers alone – not mine – as there has to be a clear and distinct separation between the two of us on the tax issues. Thankfully, my wife is not obligated for the tax liabilities even though we filed a joint return. The IRS and the state of California have protection for “Innocent Spouses” in these matters. This is certainly a positive because my wife knew nothing of my misdeeds. She has adjusted very well to life without me as she has a handle on everything. She works all week long and takes great care of the children. I know she is extremely busy and time is passing very quickly. Of course I would do anything to help her but I still have 5 months before I can.

As the telephone call ended, I went back to my room to read the mail I had received. I received three pieces from my most loyal writers – my mother, sponsor, and nephew. My mother is great because she sent me information on the IRS and how to deal with taxes owed to the IRS. The info was very useful and also there was a fantastic picture of my daughter sitting in her hotel room on vacation. The picture captured my daughter perfectly and with the water in the backdrop made for a wonderful picture. I stared at this picture for a long while and compared it to the other pictures I have hanging by my bed (which were taken back in July) and I cannot believe how much older she looks!

The rest of the night I read the newspaper and all the depressing news. It appears this is a good time not to own a home as foreclosures are at all time highs. What I can’t figure out is why prices have not dropped significantly. All of the account I have read state that the housing market is in a decline yet the home prices remain flat when compared to a year ago. The home builders supposedly have a mass of new hones in their inventory so why hasn’t there been a drop in prices? The reports also state that the housing slump is here to stay for at least a few years. I do wonder how anyone can pay 50 to 60 percent of their annual income to housing costs like some people do in California, NJ, NY and Connecticut. Maybe I should have my parole transferred to Texas as the least expensive homes are found!

I do know that someday – not too far away – I will own a home with my wife. Where that home will be located, I really don’t know, but the only that that matters is we will be together. I often long to see my children and interact with them as this has been the most difficult part of the past 14 months. I am concentrating on all the blessing in my life and know I will be with them soon enough. In the meantime, I have to settle for photographs, letters, and hearing their voices on the telephone. It is going to be a wonderful reunion with them. At times there has been a dark tunnel with doors locked for a very long time, but slowly the locks are coming open and so are the doors. Somewhere along the way, the tunnel has brightened with so much goodness and I am forever grateful.

Today marked an end (actually a beginning) for the person who helps me clean the bathrooms. This person who I also consider a friend gets to go home on Sunday. He has fulfilled the terms of his sentence and will be paroled in two days. Today was his last day cleaning the bathroom. The cleaning supplies – if I may? – have been passed to another person who I also consider a friend. I have been very fortunate to meet these two people and they are good people!