Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Flat Stanley"

I forgot to mention one of the funnier moments over the weekend when my mother and sister visited. My mother saw me and put her hand on my stomach in a downward motion and said to one of our friends, “Who was that character we used as a teaching aide for geography?” Our friend replied “Flat Stanley.” “Yes!” My mother said, and she went on to say that I resembled Flat Stanley since I am so flat (skinny!). Along this same line, I received a very nice note from my mother yesterday. In the note she noticed me walking back to the camp with two other inmates and I looked so “little” compared to those inmates, but she went on to write that my face and body look so healthy. Yes, I am one of, if not the, skinniest persons here at camp, but I do feel great. This has a lot to do with my peace of mind and the fact that I exercise almost every day. It is great how I have found peace of mind in prison, and I am doing all the right things to have a wonderful life.

Things happen that have the potential to disrupt my peace of mind. One of these events transpired yesterday during the checkout. When checkout rolls around, my job is over for the day. I have showered and changed into a clean pair of “oranges.” Since I started the in-camp job, I have always worn my shower shoes to checkout. This has not been an issue up until yesterday. I am required to wear both my orange shirt and orange pants. Also, the shirt must be tucked into the pants. I do abide by this rule all of the time. No one has ever made a big deal regarding the shower shoes, and most of the guys at checkout are wearing their shower shoes or sandals as well. As it turns out, I was in the wrong place yesterday since I was the first person in line for checkout. I was dressed appropriately with my shirt tucked into my pants; however, for some reason, the shower shoes were unacceptable yesterday. I ascribe to the theory of the path of least resistance, which works great for me. I take nothing in this environment personally and let everything go. Sure, I was made an example of yesterday in front of everyone; however, this will not upset my peace of mind. The regulations may appear to be subjective, but I have come to accept this wholeheartedly. Now I know I cannot wear my shower shoes to checkout, and I won’t do this anymore. Life is filled with so many lessons, and I am grateful for every learning experience.

Since the temperature has been dropping, I dug into my locker and took out a sweatshirt. I don’t know what it is, but I am feeling colder than I have in a very long time. I have to reassure myself that I will make it through the winter months, but I am going to need layers!! Last night, I was hoping to speak my with mother, who was at my sister’s house as she made her way back to New Jersey. I’m sure they were out doing something fun. The remainder of the night I talked with my roommate.

The weather was very dreary this morning with low clouds and drizzle. The air temperature wasn’t too cold as I started my run. I certainly have much more time to myself since I took the in-camp position, and I can exercise later in the day, but I really enjoy starting my day off with exercise. I went to breakfast and cleaned the bathrooms. Sure, my day was more of the same as the previous day, but my peace of mind continues to build. I am grateful for every day, and my life is truly magnificent.