Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Kismet - Karma - What is it Called?

With all the recreational activities shut down there were more inmates milling about the camp than normal. I haven’t seen this many people hanging out at camp since I arrived here over 4 months ago. Our table was taken and my friends from “The View” made alternative plans for the evening. This was my cue to go back to the room and just relax. (Not like I have many stresses on me!) When my roommate returned the two of us and a neighbor talked. This new room arrangement is working out fabulous. The dorm is even more quiet than the previous one and my neighbor receives the USA Today newspaper on a daily basis which he lends out to my roommate and me. This was the second day in a row that I read a newspaper that was current. This may not sound like much, but in this environment it is. Before reading the newspaper, the three of us talked and the talk centered on “million dollar ideas.” My neighbor had a great idea (which I won’t say because someone else may use it) and each day I am amazed at the resourcefulness of my fellow inmates. I have stopped looking for that “million dollar” plan and now I enjoy each moment. This is a step in the right direction for me because I remember when I was much younger thinking of microwave popcorn (before it was marketed) and seedless watermelon (before that was developed). I have had other clunker ideas which I won’t focus on but now living in the moment and living for today has cleared my mind. There may be a “million dollar idea” out there for me but I am not fixated on the quick buck.

As we were reading the newspaper, my neighbor commented on how negative all the stories were, centering on murder, rape, robbery and other assorted crimes. Sure there is a thrown in story about something positive, but the majority is negative. It seems to me we live in a society that thrives on the negative. What about the wonderful selfless volunteers all across the country and the world for that matter who give of themselves to service? This is what humanity is all about because I believe everyone is born with goodness – then somewhere along the way, negativity wears us down. I remember reading in THE POWER OF INTENTION that one lady who took Dr Dyer’s seminar stopped the newspaper and stopped watching the news because she wanted to rid herself of negative influences. This to me is a wonderful idea. I am not at this stage currently because I like to know what is going on in the world today. I need to think more about this because truthfully, the negative stories in the newspaper have no bearing on my life so why do I need to read it? This is something for me to think about.

Last night, as I was awakened by the brightness of the full moon, I made alternative plans to exercise in the morning since the recreation facilities and allegedly the track were closed. As I walking outside, I saw the officer on duty who asked if I was going to run. Upon hearing this, my comment was, “Can I run?” Much to my surprise I was told yes! This was unbelievable timing – kismet, karma, or whatever it is called. As strange as it may sound, I pre-planned my morning workout last night without the possibility of running. This was all changed within an instant as I saw the officer. I thought the track was closed, but it certainly was not. I was more than happy to do my early morning run. The only caveat was I couldn’t run on the hill as this was considered closed. I realize I have written this before but those 90 minutes (today it was 100 minutes) goes by so quickly. I start out in the dark and end right as the sun is rising. The camp was exceedingly quiet this morning as it seemed everyone stayed in their dorms. Yes, I was very grateful for the unexpected morning run and it is wonderful how everything continues to workout for the very best.

During breakfast today, there seemed to be a bit of a controversy of our table arrangements. The dining hall has a capacity to seat 95 people and there are 120 people in camp. Therefore, there is some overlapping in the tables. My friends have been here for at least 7 months and have “earned” their table. We purposely come in at the end of the serving so the table will be cleared. Well last night there were some new arrivals who were sitting at our table when we came in. One of my friends politely spoke with these new arrivals and briefed them on the protocol. This was a bit rocky, but I think they got the point since the table was cleared this morning when we arrived in the dining hall. Prison life is centered around respect. This is a little different than the respect I have practiced all my life. In prison, respect is inherent and does permeate daily life. This isn’t right or wrong nor is it for me to agree or disagree – it is what it is. The facts of the table arrangement are the following: seating is earned with time; the more time here the better seat, and this is the way it has been for years. I believe things have been ironed out, but really in the grand scheme of life this makes no difference; however, it is part of my temporary environment.