Saturday, September 22, 2007

Moving Across

Today my roommate and I move into another dorm. He had to move because all of the clerks need to be in one central dorm. Normally, the move is very easy because most of my belongings are contained in my locker. It really is a matter of moving lockers. This move was to another dorm, not just down the hall. There is a dolly available which makes the move less difficult. However, today for some reason, we were not allowed to move lockers. They had to remain in their respective rooms. This made things more difficult because my locker is filled to capacity. Compounding matters - the locker in my new room has 3 less shelves than my current locker and did not have the extended shelf. Also, moving also means taking the bed with you to be switched out with the remaining bed. This too was disallowed. It really didn’t matter to me because the beds were the same; however, my roommate has one of the few softer beds which he wanted to keep.

I don’t know why this has to be difficult, but it is the world I live in. In this environment where there is a will there is a way and my roommate found a way. Interesting we took the ?blinds? (hard to read) and I felt I was doing something illegal. This coming from a person who is here on an embezzlement charge probably sounds amusing, but it is the truth. I guess I have come along way in a short period of time. Essentially, we moved across the way into another dorm. Now I have a great view of the back hill which is extremely serene. This dorm is filled with just guys who are in campers so it makes sense I am here. I do know guys in the dorm very well so there isn’t any adjustment. I am still at the far end of the hall, but on the opposite side. I shouldn’t lose my way when I get up in the middle of the night. Another benefit about being in this dorm is the central bathroom is used by 24 less people, but it is the same size as the other bathroom. This means it will be less crowded and I can say from experience, this bathroom is much cleaner than the other one.

I must say I am really looking forward to eating a leisurely dinner upon my release in 5 months plus. My friends and I like to go to dinner at the latest possible time due to seating issues. By the time we enter the dining room, our regular table is unoccupied. There is a downside to this which is having to eat rather quickly. Making matters more complicated is when I go up for seconds. I cannot possible eat fast enough to consume all the food on my tray. A case in point was tonight when I went up for more salad, beans, and potatoes. I could only eat the salad and thankfully I brought my bowl so I could take the beans and potatoes to my room. Ever since I came to prison, eating has been a race. Over the course of time and as I have passed through the system, the quick pace of eating has lessened. However, it is still very fast and it will be very nice to finally eat at my own pace. There is little to no conversation because everyone is concentrating on eating their food. It certainly gives a new meaning to eating rapidly.