Sunday, September 09, 2007

New Member - Wow!

The best part about today was the GA Meeting/visit would reconvene after a one month hiatus due to the fires I was at. I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of my dear friends filter into the visiting area. I waited at least 30 minutes to be called after I saw them enter. In fact, my friend waved me into the office so I could go down to the visiting area. This is yet another example of those events I have no control over. Thankfully, my dear friends are very patient. There were 5 people here to attend the meeting. Three of those people have been here many times, one is a long standing member who I have not seen since my sentencing and the remaining person was someone I did not know at all. I was greeted with hugs and kisses and was introduced to the new person who has been in GA for close to 60 days. This was incredible that a new member would take time out of their weekend to come to the prison for the meeting. Even though I didn’t know this person, I knew he was already doing service in the Program by attending this meeting. I always looked forward to new members joining the Program because to me this meant one less lost soul. Sometimes the pain is immeasurable especially early on.

The meeting commenced and there were old members, new members, and intermediate members but the common bond was the Program. I am eternally grateful to GA and the fellowship because my life continues to be saved. Hopefully, the new member felt the same love I felt emanating from the other members. The Program does work if it is worked each and everyday. I have only been associated with GA for 2 ½ years and I have seen a fair share of new members fall away from the Program. I do have high hopes for this new member because by arriving today, sends a very powerful message not only to me but to the dedication required for a successful recovery. The stories are tragic as new members enter the Program but that tragedy turns into triumph as the Program is worked. I love GA and it is a vital part of my life each and everyday. I owe so much to the Program and the incredible in it. Today was a wonderful meeting as they all are and my day was made much better.

As the meeting concluded, and my dear friends departed, there were hugs and kisses. I wished the new member well and hopefully, I will see them at another meeting. I waved to them as they drove off then I had the opportunity to meet with a friend (member of the table) and their family. This was a magnificent gathering as my friend was surrounded by so much love. I felt as if I was standing in their backyard having a barbecue. They were grilling up a feast, which included “paella” grilled vegetables, and grilled shish kabobs along with an assorted variety of cheeses, crackers. They had an amazing salad which contained spinach leaves, watermelon, raisins, dressed with a fresh squeezed orange juice. They had asked me to stay for lunch and happily agreed. I even had a piece of homemade cream cheese cake. Normally I would pass on this but this is not a normal situation and the pound cake was delicious as it was flown in from across the country. This was a wonderful gathering and I had a double helping – with the earlier GA visit – of fantastic people. I had stayed long enough because I did not want to take away from my friend’s visit so I thanked them profusely and headed back to my room.

Today was yet another great day and these visiting days do add a special dimension to my week. I am so grateful for everything and I am reminded of something I recently read in “Change Your Thoughts…”

Wisdom is knowing I am nothing
Love is knowing I am everything
And between the two, my life moves.

And, while you are living stay as close to love as you can!

Love is everywhere in my life and I am eternally grateful. Love has always been in my life ever since I was born. Love has always been everywhere even before I was born, Over the years , I neglected this love and just took it all for granted. Now thanks to recovery and a new way of living, I embrace love all the time. This is the best way for me to live because my life / existence is what it is intended. Sure it took me awhile to notice all the love in my life and I put myself in a horrible predicament; however, this is exactly the way it must be and I am so grateful for the opportunity to embrace all the love in my life. Thank you everyone for all your positive thoughts and supports. Also, and most importantly thank you for the love!