Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Discussion Group? Maybe??

It was that time of the week for the Monday Evening GA “Topic” meeting and I filled as chair for my friend who usually chairs the meeting. This meant I had to come up with a topic for the meeting. My first instinct was “abstinence in recovery” and “recovery through abstinence” but I wanted to come up with something a little simpler. I had a few thoughts during the day such as “patience”, “tolerance” and “willingness” but these had been discussed at other meetings. I was going for an original idea and although “abstinence” and “recovery” aren’t very original I seemed fixated on this as a topic so I went with it. I also thought it would be great if we had a weekly or even a monthly GA “discussion group” open to all members.

A few weeks ago a longstanding member proposed the idea of hosting a newcomer’s only meeting after the Monday evening meeting. This meant only those with 6 months or less could attend this meeting and it would facilitate as more of a discussion as opposed to our regular meeting format. I thought this to be a wonderful idea and hopefully in the coming weeks it will commence. I did want to take this a step further with the “discussion group” as the thought popped into my head yesterday. I haven’t discussed this with anyone and I don’t know if there are any GA “discussion groups” in any other area.

Las Vegas has over 100 meetings (rightfully so) and they have all types of meetings such as “men only”, “women only”, “newcomers”, “step discussion” and “cross comment meetings”. The last type of meeting (cross comment) would come close to my thought of a discussion group but I would want a moderator/facilitator so the discussion wouldn’t dissolve into anarchy. We do have a step meeting every week which is the only meeting I don’t attend in the area.

I have gone to four meetings a week since I was released and before I was sentenced I was going to five meetings. One of those meetings has been consolidated and our GA group has five meetings per week and as I mentioned I attend 80% of those meetings. At the present time attending four meetings a week is very convenient due to my job and the fact that my family is still 3,000 miles away.

I don’t foresee continuing to go to 4 meetings a week when my family comes back because I need to seek balance in my life. I do certainly intend on attending at least two meetings per week and I am not sure which two I would attend. I do lean towards the Sunday evening meeting and either Monday or the Tuesday meeting. Saturdays will become very busy with the children’s activities but I need and want GA in my life. Those events are in the future and the best I can do is live one day at time trusting everything will work out for the very best.

I certainly would like to have the “discussion group” for all that would want to attend and I wonder if this has to be “GA” sanctioned meeting. I guess we could try it on an informal basis after the Monday meeting and see how it works. I have a format in my head but I am not sure how it would work in practice. The Monday meeting only lasts one hour and last night it only lasted 45 minutes; this is a departure from most of our meeting which last in upwards of two hours. I don’t know where I am going with any of this as I am really thinking out loud. I do know that the meeting/visits I had while I was at fire camp seem to act as a discussion group and I loved those meetings/visits immensely. Maybe I will bring this up at next week’s meeting.

The topic went okay; it wasn’t my best and I believe my sharing/therapy fell a bit flat. This is alright because it did get me to think and thinking through recovery is a wonderful attribute. I know I wasn’t rationally thinking at the end of my compulsive gambling days because if I were thinking rationally there is no way I could have continue the path I was on. I am eternally grateful for the path I am on as it is immersed in recovery.

The meeting ended and I went home where I was once again tapped to be the “Food Coach” for my dear friends. I’m not so sure at the end of a week my friends will consider me a dear friend with all the “great” advice I give them such as drink at least 8 cups of water a day, don’t eat after 8:00 pm and exercise at least 30 minutes each day; among many other “words of wisdom” (not so much!!). I even went as far as writing out 12 helpful hints to a healthy eating and living way of life. I called them “guidelines to healthy living and eating” (isn’t that original!!) as a reminder to stay on the right path.

At this point I can go into a diatribe about diets but I won’t. I will say I believe there are two parts of the GA Program; the first part is abstinence from gambling and the second part is applying the 12 Recovery and 12 Unity Steps to my life everyday. I believe all of those diets out there are just plain old abstinence. Sure I could refrain from gambling only but I wouldn’t experience recovery much like a person can lose weight on “Nutrisystems” but what happens when they are in a situation where there isn’t access to “Nutrisystems” do the old habits resurface; I would say most likely. In GA I understand recovery and what I need to do in order to recovery which is providing me with a better way of life. “Dieting” is a quick fix but in the long run I will adhere to all aspects in the Program because my life improves each and everyday.

This morning I had to wake up early and get to the gym in order to take my friend to the Surgery Center. I purposely split my workout between yesterday and today for this fact. I worked out with weights yesterday and today I ran 10 miles. I was a little behind schedule so I had to step up my intensity and this did feel very good. I am very surprised because there weren’t any lingering effects from the 22 mile run on Sunday and I was able to complete the 10 miles without any problems. The run was excellent and I picked up my friend right on time.

My friend was having knee surgery and I was able to pick him up a few hours later. Modern technology is amazing because he was able to basically walk out of the surgery center without a cane or crutches. He did have a large bandage but he looked no worse for the wear to me. I was very happy to help out this friend who has stood by every step of the way. There was never any doubt in this friends mind that I really was when all of my “stuff” came out. I am forever grateful to this friend and all of my friends and family for their incredible support. It was the least I could do to help this friend and it was my pleasure every step of the way.