Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day 2008

The weekly ritual of watching the “Suze Orman Show” and “Deal or No Deal” was relegated to watching only “Deal or No Deal”. My dear friend continued his fitness regimen and had to get in the daily exercise while the “Suze Orman Show” was on and watching this by myself just doesn’t have the same meaning while watching it with my friend. We did watch the full episode of “Deal or No Deal” and I must admit this is a well produced program. I can see why it is very popular. Last night’s episode had a “compulsive gambler in training” as the only contestant and I know I am not supposed to take inventory of others but it was so obvious observing the traits of a compulsive gambler.

The underlying theme was that of poker since the main contestant fancied herself as a “poker player” whose goal was to be the first woman to win the “main event” at the World Series of Poker. This doesn’t send a good message but the poker craze is very popular. It is setting up a whole new generation of compulsive gamblers and I have seen the destruction firsthand in the Gamblers Anonymous Program. I am surprised the popularity of poker has continued this far because I thought it was only a passing fancy. I was completely wrong and it appears this poker craze is here for the long haul.

Enough of the diatribe!!! I did enjoy watching the show and it did make the night pass very quickly. After the show I did go to bed but I stayed up for another hour channel surfing basically watching nothing. I did watch the beginning of “Saturday Night Live” which was very funny with a parody of Hillary Clinton.

I am fairly surprised that Barack Obama will win the Democratic nomination because I really thought Hillary would have pulled it but it is clear the nomination belongs to Obama and rightfully so. I am prohibited from voting this election season and thankfully once I complete parole next March my voting rights will be reinstated. If I were able to vote I don’t know who I would vote for between McCain and Obama. I am not enamored with either one because there are more downsides as opposed to upsides for both candidates. Someone will win and I think that someone is going to have a very difficult four years in office. I do hope I am wrong but all the signs are there much like when Jimmy Carter took office in 1977. It is fairly evident our economy is in a recession and I don’t know if either one of those candidates along with Congress will be able to do anything. Again I hope I am wrong.

I was able to fall asleep and stayed in bed much longer then usual this morning. Yes, today is Mother’s Day 2008 and yes, another “special” day I am separated from my family but these “special” days along with “regular” days are dwindling. In less then two months I will be rejoined by my family and I certainly can’t wait. I have to wait and I will continue to live life one day at a time. Today my day consisted of exercising followed by doing laundry and finally attending a GA Meeting.

Today was my long run day of the week and my mind was not into it at all. Since I skipped my run on Thursday today was my third consecutive day of running and my body doesn’t do well running three consecutive days. I do believe it is my mind that does psyche myself out more so then my body. I did run and I felt the same way I felt yesterday with my shins hurting when I started running. Yesterday I was able to “mind over matter” the discomfort and complete the nine miles. Today I wasn’t into “mind over matter” this discomfort so I came up with an alternative plan.

I completed almost three miles of running and since I wasn’t into it I decided to get on the exercise cycle. I knew I needed at least two hours of aerobic activity and after spending 20 minutes running I spent the next hour and forty minutes on the exercise cycle. Normally I sweat very much on the exercise cycle more so then when I run and today I was sweating much more then normal. I had on my running clothes which are specifically designed to wipe away sweat from my skin. These clothes work very well and today they worked too well.

The sweat was wiped off my skin and normally I have some sweat on the ground; today I had a “river” of sweat on the ground and my workout towel was drenched. I did my best to wipe up this sweat but I needed a mop to do a proper job. I had to enlist the help of an employee and it was fairly disgusting. The employee didn’t realize it was sweat (much less my sweat) and thought the water fountain had sprung a leak. This was just as well and the river was wiped up. I wasn’t done with my workout because I wanted to run some more so I went back to the treadmill where I did another 20 minutes of running. My shins were feeling much better which tells me it is so much “mind over matter” and once I start exercising these little aches and pains diminish. I had an exceptionally good workout even though I didn’t run the 16 miles. I did cycle 40 miles and ran 6 miles and this does suffice as a long aerobic exercise day.

The workout was over and I called my wife to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day. My wife did receive the flowers I sent on behalf of our children and today our children gave her some plants along with a teapot that they purchased at school. My wife had a family day planned as she went to see her brother and her sister. I can’t say enough of all the love that has surrounded my wife and children over these almost two years. Her day was filled and she certainly made the best. My wife did inform me that a good friend from here had called her early just to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day. This is a wonderful person who embodies the GA Program and I was delighted to hear this. I am blessed with magnificent people in my life and I am eternally grateful.

I was able to speak with my Mother and she too had a good day. I can’t say enough about my mother who has done so much for me not only these past three years but over my entire lifetime. My mother is a very special person and I am very happy she had a good day. Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there because mothers do make the world go round!!!!