Thursday, May 08, 2008

Humility and Gratitude

If anyone does not know who Harlan Coben is I urge you to pick up one of his books from your local library because he has become my favorite author over this past year. My mother has always been a huge proponent of Mr. Coben and until I was in prison did I finally realize what a great author he is. The following passage was taken from Harlan Coben’s blog and there was one passage which really blew me away. Here is the passage;

I sat down and got to work. As I came upon my second hour of signing, someone asked, as someone inevitably does, “Isn’t your hand getting sore?”

The honest answer: No.

My hand only gets sore when NO ONE wants me to sign a book. I still remember my early days, sitting in some Waldenbooks at a mall, no one approaching me, trying to look busy, playing with my pen, straightening out my untouched pile of bookmarks, feeling something like the authorial equivalent to a poster child (”You can buy his book…or you can turn the page…”).

Now I’m supposed to complain because too many people want me to sign their books???

Forget it.

Mr. Coben was discussing a book signing and on the blog was a photograph of hundreds probably thousands of his books as he set out to sign each one. I found what he wrote incredibly refreshing and something I need to apply to my own life. Here is an author who is number one on the New York Times bestseller list and seemingly has it all. Yes, he does have it all and he is extraordinarily humble.

When I was released from prison over two months ago I walked around in awe and had a big smile on my face. Slowly this awe has subsided with my daily life and yes, I still have my smile but it is fading. This is not right and this passage from Mr. Coben sums it all up perfectly. I walked out of prison a free man over two months ago and I was free in so many different ways. I have been incredibly fortunate through all of this as I landed a job within days of my release. Okay; my job may not be working out perfectly but hey I have a job and I am contributing to the world the best way I can. I have no right to lament, lambaste or criticize anyone and I believe no one has the right to criticize another person.

I am eternally grateful to every person in my life and those who are no longer in my life. I have received enormous support through all of this and I continue to receive support from many different people. Sure everyone is entitled to a bad day or for feeling sorry for themselves but I must maintain this same attitude that Harlan Coben has of gratitude. I am grateful in every way possible from my family to my job to my friend and to every aspect of my life.

I was moved to tears when I read that simple sentence; “Forget it.” Life is filled with despair, destruction and many negative things. Look at all of the devastation which occurred in Myanmar this week with so many people losing their lives. If I were to concentrate on the negative I would be a lost soul which is why I do my very best to focus on the positive. I thought I may have an opportunity to change jobs in the coming weeks but those possibilities did not materialize which means I have to stay at my present position. Cash flow here is weak but there are great people doing great things and I do believe everything will work out the way it is meant to work out.

I do sometimes make life much too complicated then it needs to be because for 19 ½ months I had a very simple existence. In that simple existence I learned so much about myself and I found the peace of mind I lacked for years. I could see this slipping away out here in the free world but it all came back to me when I read this simple passage. The message for me is of gratitude. I have a wonderful and I am surrounded by wonderful people. I am truly blessed in many ways.

I had to get that out first because a wave of emotions hit me when I read the passage from Harlan Coben and it is truly so very simple. The KISS method; Keep It Simple Stupid comes to mind. I mess up when I try to complicated things and life does not have to be so complicated. Last night I worked out after work because I was too tired yesterday morning and that is something I may have never done in the past. I had one of my best workouts in a very long time. I had time before having a lovely dinner with a wonderful friend. There are an abundant number of wonderful people in my life and I am in contact with these people each and everyday. Last night I had a great dinner with one of these magnificent people.

This was the same friend I had dinner with a month ago at their restaurant. I met this person in a very bizarre manner 6 years ago and we have kept in contact ever since. Even with my misdeeds this friend stood beside me and this friend even volunteered their services to help me move next month. Now that is what I call a friend because most people don’t volunteer to help anyone move yet there was never a second thought. Yes, I continue to be blessed each and everyday.

I intend to read this passage every day as a reminder to myself. The fact of the matter is I was released from prison over 2 months ago and if I get upset over just about anything I must be insane!!! I don’t get upset easily and I do look at the world a little differently now but I must maintain the position of being grateful. I am so grateful for every aspect in my life and I am in awe along with having a huge smile on my face.