Friday, December 21, 2007

Yes, It is Prison

There seemed to be more than usual commotion on the campgrounds yesterday. This normally causes rumors to run rampart throughout the camp. I do my best to keep to myself, but sometimes I can’t seem to help myself from eavesdropping. I listened to all the speculation and did get a good laugh. One of those speculations hit the nail on the head (so to speak). All of the commotion was due to a discovery of pruno. I thought the pruno days ended at Jamestown, but apparently a few of my fellow inmates carried the tradition here. I really don’t understand why someone would drink something that has been strained through a pair of underwear. But I do understand addiction as I went to great lengths to satisfy my addiction. Thank God those days are over for me and the insanity has stopped. I guess the insanity continues with a few of the other inmates who made this pruno. Yes, this is still prison even without the gates, locks, fences and walls. This being prison some of the inmates will go to great lengths to get their “fix”. Well, this little transgression has caused a chain reaction throughout the camp. We are no longer allowed to take fruit out of the dining hall. This is reminiscent of Jamestown when the “Fruit Nazi” would guard the exit.

I enjoyed not having to encounter the “Fruit Nazi” and not feeling guilty if I took a piece of fruit out of the dining hall. I strongly doubt the “Fruit Nazi” will reappear, however, the consequences of having a piece of fruit outside of the dining hall are very dire which is why my fruit intake will diminish in the next 2 ½ months. I won’t have other then inside the dining hall. My roommate is also someone who abides by these directives and removed the three oranges from his locker moments after the memo was posted. Yes, a small few ruin it for everyone but in 2 ½ months, I can have all the fruit I want. This is yet another one of those “small things” and I have yet to sweat the small stuff, and I won’t start now.

The incident was over but the talk remained. My roommate and I had another one of our lively evenings. We finally did something out of the normal as we played ping-pong after dinner. We had a round robin tournament and I lost the only game that I played. It was back to the room where the usual ensued – hot chocolate, talking, laughing, and reading. It seems the evenings are the same for the next 11 weeks. My time is drawing nearer and I do enjoy the time I spend with my roommate.

There were some events early this morning as two inmates were “rolled up” – removed – most likely for failing a drug test. The “roll-ups” have been quiet for a few months so the camp seemed due. I had a bad thought enter my mind when I was taking my drug test last week. I’m not exactly enamored with the organization of the prison system and briefly thought what if my drug test gets mislabeled or misread with someone who tests positive. Thankfully, this was a brief thought because if I dwell on it - the “what-ifs” would make me crazy. The commotion for the second day settled down and I was off to clean the bathrooms. My game playing continues as I altered my normal cleaning routine this morning. The very subtle change of pace help immensely. I took my time cleaning and before I realized the morning had flown by. It was time for lunch and I went into the television room to watch CNN. I thought I was going to get the day’s news, but CNN was airing a Republican debate from Iowa. I was interested in the debate since I haven’t seen any candidates speak. My friend who is an ardent Democrat took one look at the television and said, “I can’t watch this,” and walked out. I can’t say if anyone candidate impressed me as the debate was just concluding. I can say Romney looked a little too polished and reminded me of the movie “Manchurian Candidate”. I was happy to view the debate even though it wasn’t much and I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting outside writing and reading.