Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Visit from an Incredible Friend

December 22

I watched the Christmas show put on by a few of my fellow inmates. One inmate dressed as Santa Claus, another dressed as Smokey the Bear and yet another dressed as Sparky the fire Dog. This was all for the children who came to see their fathers during visiting. These characters made a grand entrance arriving on the back of a fire truck with the sirens roaring. Off jumped Santa and the others who came bearing gifts for the children. This is an annual tradition at camp and I thought it was very festive. I believe the children enjoyed Santa and his friends along with the gifts. This will continue tomorrow and Christmas Day as well.

A few minutes after the show, I heard my name announced over the loudspeaker informing me that I had a visit. I was not expecting anyone today nor did I expect one all weekend including Christmas Day.

I entered the dining hall and scanned the tables. I didn’t see anyone I recognized and was told my visitor ran to the car to get the license plate number as is required for all visitors. I wondered who it could be when I saw my roommate who described my surprise visitor to me and I realized who it was. My realization came true as a very dear friend entered the dining hall. I haven’t seen this friend in 17 months and the last time we saw each other was between plexiglass as I sat in the County Jail. I had a big smile on my face as my dear friend walked toward me and we embraced. I cannot say enough about him and how happy I was to see him.

We sat together for two of the quickest hours I have ever experienced in my lifetime. We did a great deal of catching up as it has been way too long. In terms of friends in my life, this person is well near the top of the list. We have known each other only six years, but we have become great friends. I know my fall from grace was very difficult for him. It is hard to picture and experience first-hand seeing a person who you believed wasn’t capable of doing such reprehensible acts. I still remember the look on his face when my wife and I told him all about my misdeeds. It was more of a look of shock as opposed to disappointment. Thankfully, that look was gone today and we had a wonderful time. We had such a good time; he informed me he was coming back on Christmas Day. He even had me make out a list of the food items I would like from Trader Joe’s. I told him this was unnecessary, but he was insistent. I made out a short list and thanked him profusely.

A he was leaving, we embraced and he said he would be back on Christmas. As he left, I thought of how blessed a person I am. I have so many incredible people in my life and they are all blessing to which I am eternally grateful. I have met many people in my life and some I thought were friends; however, over the past three years, I have found the meaning of friends. This incredible person who came to visit today is the essence of the word friend.

I was very excited after the visit was over and told my roommate all about the visit. I then called my wife and recounted the visit. She also understood when she missed my call on her birthday. It appears my daughter was more disappointed than my wife. During our conversation, she told me about an email she received a week ago from a person I know well. This person was just thinking of me and wanted to see how I was doing. As fate would have it, I sent this same person a letter earlier this week to inform him how I was doing. I had no knowledge of the email so I do believe this is not a coincidence – it is more of a connection. Everything does happen for a reason, much like this journey I am on and I have found this very interesting. I do believe as each day passes, I gain more of a connection to the Source which helps to keep me in tune with all things. I also believe my life continues to get better and better.