Monday, December 24, 2007

Pre-Christmas

Yesterday afternoon I started to write and when I was finished, I had technically written away the day. I continue to be amazed as to how much of my day is devoted to writing. However, I do need to devote more time to writing parts of my “book.” In fact, I need to rewrite the outline I had started. It’s very rough and needs work. I remember reading that James Patterson writes 30 pages of the outline before writing every book. Currently my outline is one page (at least it is a legal size page!) It was a good start, but I need more detail. I doubt very much I will ever have this much time to devote to writing and for that matter anything else. I have detailed my typical day and writing fills up my afternoon.

This Christmas season, I am now receiving Christmas cards. I am not allowed to display these because I have received more than one. Yes, we are allowed to display two cards at a time. At this point I have gotten five and even though these are Christmas cards, I respond to these as well. One of the guys who have just been paroled left behind very nice winter themed stationary and I have been using this to respond to people. A fellow inmate saw me walking to the mailbox carrying several letters and knows my proclivity towards writing. He said, I bet you won’t write another letter when you get released!” I laughed and thought about it and I know I will write more when I am released. I can’t wait to type and I am sure everyone who receives my “doctor’s writing” can’t wait for me to type. My handwriting is a cross between a nine year olds and a doctor. Sometimes when I go back to reread what I wrote I have a hard time deciphering some words. I really feel for my mother and dear friend who transcribe my chicken scratch. I am fairly certain my 6 year old has better penmanship than I do! I do look forward to writing e-mails and somewhere along the way that “book” will get written so that will provide more therapy.