Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Counting the Hours

The simplistic terms of my life continue and when I really think about my day there really isn’t much to write about. My weekdays are broken into segments; wake up, go workout, shower, go to breakfast, clean the bathrooms, have lunch, read, write or workout in the afternoon, have dinner, talk with my roommate, read or write, go to sleep – then do it all over again. There is a certain rhythm to my day and even in the sameness the days do pass soon enough. Last night I will admit I started counting the hours until my wife arrives. As I write this she will be here in less than 48 hours.

I can’t wait to see her On Friday and I know our time together this weekend will go by quickly, but I intend to enjoy every moment. The last time we were alone together were the three days before my sentencing hearing and back then I know I was very nervous. This setting in prison is not exactly ideal for a weekend getaway but it is the very best we have at the moment. I do foresee many more weekends away with my wife in our future and this weekend will be wonderful. Hey who needs the Ritz-Carlton!

It was time to clean the bathrooms and I have gotten used to working by myself. I have employed a tactic given to me by my mother many years ago. When I was a kid I was lazy (for lack of a better word!) and getting me to clean up my room was indeed a chore. I remember my mother imploring me to clean my room. She even went as far to tell me to make it a game. Back then I didn’t want anything to do with cleaning and I thought her game idea was absurd. Well, many years later, I see so much validity in my mother’s advice. Now as I clean the bathrooms, I do make a game of it and being alone I truly get into my own little world. Each day I try to charge it up a little and it has become a fun game to me. It still takes me much longer then previously, but I don’t mind it all. Where am I going? I do have all the time in the world - that is up until February 27th. I had no ideas that cleaning bathrooms that 120 inmates use on a daily basis could actually be fun – but it is!

As I close, my wife will be here in 46 hours and 40 minutes!!!!