Thursday, November 08, 2007

Day's over Already

My mother has inundated me with letters this week; I have received at least one piece of mail each day from her and all of the mail has been exceptional. Last night the only piece I did receive was from my mother. I am sitting here with four of her letters stacked to my left. My intention was to write a letter to her this afternoon, but somehow the day went by so quickly. I thought I was going to watch the movie “The Secret”. The satellite dish has been on the fritz for the past few days and DVD’s have been the only thing shown. In the afternoon yesterday, I was able to watch the last 20 minutes of “The Secret” and was told it would be played again last night. I was all set to watch and found a seat in the TV room. I was excited to watch the entire broadcast because the last twenty minutes were very inspiring. The television came on and much to my dismay; the movie was “Spiderman III”. A far cry from “The Secret”! My roommate and I went back to our room and engaged in conversation with our neighbor.

Everything as it always does went well today. Breakfast was uneventful and it was the normal cleaning of the bathrooms. Here is a small sample of how “into” cleaning the bathrooms I have become. In each of the bathrooms is a trough urinal (sorry about being so graphic) and to clean it properly, I use my hands. Yes, I wear latex gloves, but my hands are in the urinal cleaning it! This seems to be the best way to get it really spotless. I certainly didn’t think at the age of 42 that I would have my hands inside a prison urinal but this is how it has turned out. Strangely enough, I am very grateful and it continues to keep me humble.

I was all set to write this afternoon when the meat delivery arrived. I promised my roommate I would help him unload the truck and I found myself in a role which was part of a previous life. My roommate gave me the invoice and I was responsible for inventorying all of the items on the truck as they were unloaded. I was being an accountant again and it was so nice to participate. There weren’t any problems with the order and as I checked the items off, I realized that there wasn’t one food item on the entire truck that I would eat. The order was full of hamburgers, pork, sausages, chicken and other sundry foods that I choose not to eat. It was a bit ironic that there was nothing I would eat in the entire order. Unloading the truck took longer than I had anticipated and with it thought, “Has the day ended already?” Time sure does move quickly and really today like most other days are not exactly action packed, yet the days go by rapidly.

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” This is probably the most famous line from “Living the Wisdom of the Tao.” It really is a simplistic thought yet I know for myself I sometimes got overwhelmed with the “big picture”. However; now I understand the meaning of living one day at a time. Every goal is possible from here. The key is from here. One small step leads to another and so on. Before too long the journey has been completed and what was thought to be impossible became very possible. My life was a mess a short-time ago, but now it continues to improve with each passing day. My life is wonderful and I am grateful for this experience.