Friday, November 02, 2007

Release Date Official!

The counselor had arrived and I was ecstatic to see her. I was finally called and I went into the office. I was very impressed because the Counselor remembered my name. This really is no small feat as she sees over 200 inmates on a sporadic basis. As I sat down I was handed some paperwork. This was the paperwork I submitted for the recalculation of my EPRD –estimated, parole, release date. I quickly scanned the bundle of paper and noticed that the person who responded did agree with me that an error had been made. The new date of February 27, 2008 is indeed my official ERPD. This saves me four days from the original March 2, 2008 date and now I can officially say I get out in February. When my wife comes out, I will have three months remaining and when my mother comes out, I will have 38 days and a wake up.

The second order of business was starting the paperwork for my parole to be transferred to Nevada. Strangely or maybe better stated ironically, my mother had just sent me the identical form just yesterday – Interstate Transfer Compact. The Counselor took all the necessary information and will type it up. All I have to do is sign the form when she comes back – hopefully – in two weeks.

The Counselor told me that only one person was denied a transfer because that person lied about having a record in the transferring state. All other transfers have gone through and Nevada is part of the compact with California. Also, the facts that I have a place to live and a place to work are in my favor. The question of restitution was not addressed and I do believe the Counselor knows my case fairly well since there was additional paperwork accompanied. I did ask when I would find out if the transfer will be approved. The answer was a bit distressing as I won’t know until February 27th or possibly one week earlier. I was told I won’t know any earlier than this as all communications go through Sacramento to Carson City. I do believe everything will work out for the best. It will be fantastic to step right into a job when I am released and not be bound to the state of California. Of course I will still be apart from my family as they remain in NJ until the school year finishes. The other option would be to transfer my parole to NJ; however, California does not have a reciprocity agreement with NJ nor do I have any job prospects. Taking that one step further, even though I burned my bridges due to my actions, I have built and rebuilt so many others. These bridges all reside either in Las Vegas or southern California. I certainly have an incredible family who has been wonderful through all this and I am grateful for everyone.

Although I will be separated from my family, I will be able to visit them a few times before we reunite next June. These details will be worked out in due time and I can’t wait to be back together. My daughter will be making her first communion in late April next year and I fully intend to be there as she makes that sacrament. Next year is shaping up to be an incredible time and I am looking forward to the start.

I wrote a letter to my wife and this was the first "non-traditional" letter in a very long time. My wife is extremely busy with day to day life and doesn't have time to write so I certainly don't expect a reply. Each week for the past two months I have written to both of my children and this won't stop until I am released. I "owed" my wife a letter since we really haven't communicated in awhile. We will have a great deal to communicate about when she comes for the family visit at the end of this months which I am very much looking forward to. Also, in the letter I wrote today I put in an order for the food on the visit. Yes, I am still "a pain in the ass" about my food, but my wife still loves me. I don't care about the food as much as I care about being her for three consecutive days.

It is now November and in four weeks from today, I will be holding, hugging, and kissing my wife at the family visit. I can’t wait!