Friday, November 16, 2007

Was it a Miscommunication?

Yesterday afternoon the Counselor arrived as scheduled and for the first time since I arrived here she actually called me to the office. All the other times I had to remind her about my parole plans and transfer of parole. Yesterday was the day for me to sign all the papers for the transfer to the state of Nevada and I was very happy to see all the papers were properly filled out and all I had to do was sign. The counselor had also verified all the information I had given regarding the place I will be living and the prospective job. The counselor spoke to my dear friend who made quite an impression. I have a very long standing friendship (well over 30 years) and I am sure it showed in their conversation. The Counselor also called the Director of the Recovery Center to verify the existence of my potential employment. She didn’t speak with the Director; rather the Counselor’s supervisor spoke with the Director. The message I received through the Counselor was that I do NOT have a job waiting for me when I parole in February. I would have to fill out an application and apply for a position at that time. Now this is somewhat contradictory of what my mother was told by the Director a few weeks ago. He did not say to my mother that I had a guaranteed position, but he did say that a position can be created as he spoke very highly of me. So, I’m not sure if there is a miscommunication somewhere or what to believe. What I do know is everything will workout for the very best and the paperwork have been submitted for the transfer of my parole to Nevada.

The counselor informed me that this paperwork would be on the next bus to Sacramento. This means that the actual hard copy of the paperwork will physically be placed on the next bus to Sacramento. I found this fascinating that in today’s age of instant electronic transfer, my paperwork will take a 400 plus mile bus ride to where it will be processed. I guess it will take awhile for this system to enter the 21st century. Nonetheless the process is in motion and hopefully I will be informed of the approval of the transfer before February 27th. Now I just sit and wait, but I do need to at least inquire to the status of my job prospect. I do have faith and know the process will be as intended. The rest of the evening was as usual. I received a letter from my good friend who visited me a few weeks ago. He informed me he was thinking about a return visit sometime after the first of the year. This would be wonderful and something I am looking forward to.

I went to sleep much later than usual because I was conversing with my roommate. We were talking about our mutual friend and how I could be losing him from helping with the bathrooms. I have been very fortunate to have worked with two people I consider friends. The first friend paroled at the end of September and the current friend appears to be moving on to bigger and better things. The first friend paroled at the end of September and the current friend appears to be moving onto bigger and better things. I will miss working him, but I will still see him as he will be working with my roommate. I have mentioned in the past how I would have preferred to be a clerk, but I have been prohibited from this type of position all through my incarceration. I have made the best of the situation and yes, believe it or not being a bathroom porter is making the best. It would have been nice being in an office environment with access to a computer, but it wasn’t meant to be. I will go about my daily routine and continue to do my best in cleaning the bathrooms. By the way we did receive another very good compliment regarding the cleanliness of the bathrooms. I will miss the talks we currently have with my friend as we conclude cleaning the bathrooms, but I will survive.

Before the morning was over we were briefed about the outbreak of staph in the prison system. Apparently staph infections have reached the camp system and all proper procedures must be in order. Thankfully, I use gloves while cleaning and have cleaning agents which kill many forms of bacteria. The outbreak of staph is in direct correlation of the overcrowding issue and I recently read an article about how inmates are taking the staph infections when they parole and infect several communities. It is somewhat ironic how some politicians are indignant when it comes to the early release of inmates due to concerns of “public safety”. When in reality, keeping the overcrowding numbers up is also a risk to public safety – not in the criminal sense – but in the health sense. There isn’t an easy solution to all of this but health issues should be a number one priority not only for the inmates but for society.

In the afternoon, I was called up to the office to receive mail. My very thoughtful mother and sister sent me paper, writing tablets, and envelopes. These all came separately and I had a big smile on my face while I opened the envelopes. My sister’s contained a letter – as did my mother’s – and in her letter, my sister was the second person in the last two weeks to tell me that the actor – Steve Carrel – (“The Office) looks a lot like me. I think we have similar noses (poor Steve Carrel) and the hair is also similar, but I’m not sure about any other physical characteristics.

I actually broke down last night and got a haircut. I decided it was long enough for the 1070’s Keith Partridge look and finally got a haircut. The inmate/barber who I know fairly well and is a very good guy is really just learning how to cut hair. I have actual hair to cut which is a rarity in this system as most guys have bald or shaved heads. My hair is a little tricky so my expectations were fairly low. I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a good haircut. My hair is decidedly shorter and my ever-present middle part is gone. However, my hair has been cleaned up very nicely. I really don’t have to comb it at all; it is a very low maintenance hairstyle. It does look very much like my roommate’s hair and the barber did tell me our hair is very similar. I wanted to get a haircut prior to my wife’s arrival in two weeks and that is what I did this evening. It is certainly not the worst haircut I have ever received and under the circumstances, it came out very well. I was happy with the result and now I don’t have to concern myself with keeping my hair out of my eyes.