Saturday, November 17, 2007

How Many Laps?

After my haircut last night I returned to my room where my roommate and I had a very long chat about life. In this conversation were the past, present, and future topics about our respective lives. It was a wonderful discussion and we stayed up way past out normal bedtimes! My roommate gets out six months after I am released and he too has many questions regarding his future. It is very possible that he won’t be able to pursue what he has been doing all his adult life. I do believe America is the land of “second chances” but sometimes there are significant hurdles involved in getting these second chances. I also believe everything will workout for the best with my roommate. His story is very sad because of everyone I have met through this journey, he is truly an “innocent” convict. Everything does happen for a reason and he has a wonderful attitude.

I got out of bed at my usual time and I was ready for a long run. It took me longer than usual to check in and somewhere along this journey I will assert myself (but not right now!) I checked in and off I went. I was hoping to do 70 laps but ran out of time and did 68 laps. My roommate asked how many laps and when I told him, my neighbors overheard. They quickly came over and asked, “How many laps?” I responded with 68 to which they just shook their heads in astonishment and repeated my answer. I was feeling very good this morning and again it was the case where I could have run forever. Sixteen miles was a good run. I find myself doing abdominal exercises more than anything else. I still don’t understand how I could be so skinny and still have love handles! I guess it’s hard to beat genetics. My stomach is firm and flat, but I don’t have one of those “six pack” type abs. I’m not sure if I could ever have them. Oh, well, it still doesn’t stop me from working out.

I was supposed to have a visit from a friend of mine today. Before the visit I called my family because they were headed to my sister’s house to celebrate Christmas in November with my father who was visiting from Florida. I spoke with my wife who gave me the news that my friend would not be visiting me today. Unfortunately, his friend had some very tragic events in their family. My friend went to his aid in this time of need. I was looking forward to his visit, but those tragic events most certainly take precedence over coming here. Hopefully, everything will be alright and my friend can visit in the upcoming months. I also spoke to my wife about other items such as the transfer of my parole. She knew all about this as our friends in Las Vegas had been contacted and will be visited by a parole agent. I found this interesting because technically, the paperwork hadn’t made it’s way into the Nevada system which I presume are the people who will visit them. It was good to hear that the wheels are in motion and things are happening. It was always wonderful to speak with my family and I will call them on Thanksgiving. I am certainly counting the number of days until I see my wife (13) for the family visit.

Southern California most certainly has the best weather I have ever encountered. Since I wasn’t having a visit, I changed my clothes and sat outside wearing shorts with a tee shirt. I believe the forecast is calling for the Santa Ana winds this coming week. Hopefully, if the winds come up, the fires will not. The word is crews from other fire camps are on their way and will be here tomorrow night. This means my roommate and now my friend will have the same routine. I will do my best not to be taken away by the winds if they blow as they did a few weeks ago. Yes, it was a very good Saturday even though I didn’t receive a visit. The days continue to move on by very quickly.