Friday, January 25, 2008

Another Work Week Complete

The question my roommate and I posed is there is anything I need to do before my release next month. I have thought this over on several occasions and I cannot come up with anything. The book idea has been put on hold indefinitely and really there is not much else. I am truly counting down the days and with another work week complete, I have to clean the bathrooms 21 more times. The day before my release date, I go on what is termed “S” time. (I have no idea what the “S” stands for and my guess would be short) This means I am no longer on the payroll, and take that day to gather all my belongings. With that information I have four full work weeks remaining and one Monday giving me the 21 days of cleaning. If I glance back this equals the same amount of time from New Years Eve until this very day (today). It seems like yesterday, my roommate and I were ringing in the New Year by staying awake until midnight, but in that same time I will be “walking out the door” so to speak. Yes, time moves very quickly and with a little over one month remaining the excitement continues to build.

This excitement is building even though my days are pretty much identical to one another. I do my best to maintain a positive attitude and with only a month remaining – if I weren’t positive, I would need my head examined and I am particularly excited coming out with a job! I have a completely different mindset as I start my new job and I foresee a great deal of smiling on those workdays. I do feel as if a chain has been broken off me. I was swirling and swirling for so long which I ignored. Happily this has all changed for the better and that bright beautiful new beginning beckons. I don’t have much else as my day was the usual. I did have a headache yesterday which is very rare. I took some Ibuprofen and when I woke up the headache was gone.

The typical day continued as I took my time cleaning the bathrooms. As I finished I normally have to go into the office where my roommate spends his day and get the bars of soap for the bathroom sinks. We both started a joke today that whenever we see each other – the first person to call “plank”) which is an exercise for the core where the person supports themselves on their elbows and toes while squeezing the abdomen and lowerback) the other person has to drop down and do a 60 second plank. As I walked past my roommate in the office, I called “plank” and he complied by doing a plank on the sidewalk as well. I must say we have a very good time in this situation. We do laugh more than anything else and I would guess some of the other inmates think we are crazy. We may be crazy, but we have a good time!

After the plank incident, I went back to my room where I waited for the lunch hour. I needed a run and a run is what I did during the lunch hour. The large rain/snow storm never did materialize, but other parts of California are snowed in. The forecast calls for another storm this weekend but it does appear the temperatures are increasing so it shouldn’t be a snow event. The GA meeting/visit reconvenes on Sunday and we have not had this inside the dining hall to date because the weather has always cooperated. Maybe we are due for an indoor meeting, who knows?