Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pregnancy Analogy

When I arrived here at camp, I received a new release date which meant at that time I had a little over nine months remaining to serve on my sentence. I used the pregnancy analogy back then as I entered the first trimester. Now, here I am half way through the third and final trimester. I remember when my wife was pregnant with our two children. Thankfully, she had very uneventful pregnancies; however, I do recall her being ready to deliver half way through her final trimester. No, this is not like giving birth to a child, but it is like a rebirth for me. I am anxious for that “due” date of February 27th to arrive. As today passes, I have only five more remaining Wednesdays that I will be incarcerated. Of course, I am counting down the days, and I find that it is more palatable thinking I have five more Wednesdays to serve than 41 days and a wakeup to serve.
I don’t know what exactly it is, but I have felt a little off all day. It could have been the fact that my roommate wanted to talk at 10:00 last night, which is well past our respective bedtimes. He was a bundle of energy, and we did talk. His bundle of energy faded quite rapidly, and as I was speaking, I could hear his breath getting heavier. Soon thereafter, he was fast asleep. It took me several minutes to finally fall asleep, and my sleep wasn’t the best.
I was planning on running this afternoon but just wasn’t feeling up to it. I did work out this morning with my roommate, and it was a much better effort than yesterday. The cleaning of the bathrooms went well, and I even scrubbed the walls. This became a futile attempt to get the lime and alkaline off because once it dried it looked the same. The bathroom walls are painted in two colors; tan and brown. The tan is on the top portion while the brown is on the bottom portion. Unfortunately, the dark color of the brown shows all the dirt, and the only way to clean this would be to repaint the entire bathroom. I don’t know if this will happen in the next five Wednesdays or later. Whatever the case, I will do what is asked of me, which is why I was scrubbing the walls.
I attempted to call the reporter at lunchtime, but she was not available. I will try back on Friday as we seem to have some unfinished business. It certainly would be better to sit down with the reporter so we can cover everything at once, but I guess this works for now. The remainder of the lunch hour I talked with my roommate. I have been blessed with my roommate because he is very funny, and as I have mentioned before, we do more laughing than most. I did notice today that my “butcher” job of a haircut on him appeared to be growing back. I guess what they say is correct. The difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is, indeed, two weeks!!