Thursday, January 17, 2008

Double Booked?

During mail call yesterday evening, I received three letters. One letter was from my good friend who visited me back in October. It was a very brief letter informing me he would be coming out to visit me this coming weekend. This was a surprise, and with my mother coming this weekend as well, it appears I am double booked. The slight ironic twist to this is my good friend will be driving in from Las Vegas as will my mother and our dear friends. I realize my good friend cannot make a weekend of it as my mother is doing so carpooling does not appear to be an option; however, that would have worked out well because my good friend lives within a few miles of my dear friends’ house. When my good friend visited in October, he mentioned that he would like to come back most likely at the beginning of this year. This was very nice, and I am looking forward to his return visit. This weekend does pose a challenge because my mother and our friends will be here. They all met each other at my son’s christening some seven years ago.
I don’t want to tell my friend not to come because this sounds disingenuous. I am grateful he is come back, but any other weekend than this weekend would work out much better. I don’t have my friend’s telephone number, so I need to call my wife to tell her to call my good friend about the double booking. I’m fairly certain all the parties won’t mind if they all arrived on the same day, but it would be great to have another visit to look forward to in the coming weeks. I do have six weekends remaining, and four of these do have visits scheduled, especially with the very dear friends from GA with the meeting/visits. I do know it will all work out for the best.
I did try to call my wife at lunchtime but was unable to reach her. I will try again this evening. I did call the reporter at lunchtime, and we once again went through the 15 minutes very quickly. The questions turned to9 my current activities here at fire camp and about the overall system I am in. She asked me about what types of rehabilitation there are for inmates, and I gave the sad answer of “there aren’t any.” The system is name the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitations. The last part is in name only because I haven’t witnessed any state sponsored rehabilitation. I didn’t feel comfortable elaborating while spoke on the telephone because I must be careful with the words I choose in this forum, which is why I won’t go any further on the subject.
The day was the usual for me, and I received information on my denial of the transfer of parole. I was assisted in finding even further information about this topic. As it turns out, the California Penal Code does specifically state, “No parolee may be released on parole to reside in any other receiving state if the parolee is subject to an unsatisfied order of restitution to a victim or a restitution fine within the sending state.” This is what I wanted to see, and there it was in black and white. There are, however, possible remedies to this as were listed in the following two paragraphs. The possible remedies are, “A parolee may be granted an exception to the prohibition in the previous statement if the parolee posts a bond for the amount of the restitution order; or, a parolee may petition the court for a nearing to determine whether, in the interests of justice, the prohibition in subdivision (a) should be waived.” What this all means, I am not sure; however, if I wanted to pursue the opportunity in Las Vegas, I could apply one of these two possible remedies. Will I pursue this? I am not sure. I think the best course of action would be to complete my parole term in California and see where life goes from there. I have a very good job opportunity upon my release, and I will be earning valuable experience in the recovery field. This also helps with the opportunity in Las Vegas as it is in the same industry. I need to allow everything to fall in place, and this is what I intend to do. Now at the very least, I do know that if I wanted to pursue the opportunity in Las Vegas, I can, but I trust and believe everything will continue to work out for the very best.