Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mom's Return Visit (Part Two)

Today was almost a mirror image of yesterday. After spending most of last night talking with my roommate about the wonderful visit with my mother and friends, I went off to sleep with a smile on my face. I slept all the way through until it was time for my workout in the very cold air. We had a very good workout session and once again it was time to get ready for the second part of my mom’s return visit. Talk about identical days as my mother and friends arrived at the same time they arrived on Saturday. The temperature was decidedly lower than the day before so a fire was needed in the fire pit. Prior to starting the fire, I was once again greeted by warm hugs all around.

The day was fantastic as we spoke about their evening with two other wonderful friends of mine. It truly is amazing how everything continues to workout for the very best as my mom and friends had dinner with two other friends. These dear friends have been nothing short of incredible with their support over these past three years. All these people who have given me such unbelievable support were all having dinner together. Even though I was not there, I could feel the love all around. I am so happy they all got together and had a wonderful evening.

Today’s visit went so quickly and I seemed to stuff my face more so than the previous day. I ate the bagel my mom brought followed by a fuji apple, flaxseed tortilla chips, trail mix and other assorted goodies. The special surprise came in the form of homemade pasta primavera made by my dear friend and transported all the way from Vegas. I was so fortunate to have eaten the best eggplant parm and the best pasta primavera over the past two days. Again I ate the entire serving in the large tray. It was extremely delicious and it was also accompanied with ciabatta bread.

The conversation flowed freely once again and the day went so very quickly. We did have time to play a board game – “Scattegories”. This does require the players to use their brains and it appears my brain needs a little work. It took me awhile to get going but I did have fun. Where the time goes on these visits – I don’t know. Before I knew it, the visit was ending. The last hour was quite funny as some scheming was going on and in the big picture of life this little “scheme” certainly meant nothing. However, it did keep the four of us occupied. The “scheme” was successful and in the category of much to do about nothing, it was much to do about nothing!

I had mixed emotions as the visit ended because they had to depart. I was certainly sad to see them go but I am that much closer to my release date. In little over one month I will be released and although I won’t be with my mother or these dear friends it is so nice to know I can all them at anytime without recorded interruptions. I was thinking about this as the visit progressed over the weekend. Outside of my wife and my family these friends who came this weekend have been a part of my life for a significant period of time. In fact, I have known my wife for over 25 years and I have known these dear friends for over 30 years. They have been a large part of my life. They were instrumental when I went off to college at the University of southern California and were instrumental when I moved out to Las Vegas. These are wonderful friends who have been with me for a very long time and I love them very much. As for my mother – what more can I say that I haven’t said. She has been remarkable through all of this and I love her so very much. She has been there in so many ways for my family and myself. She has taught me a valuable lesson of unconditional love and I will never forget this lesson. These are some of the many blessings in my life and I am so appreciative. I am so grateful for this weekend and I am so ready to start my life anew. I will continue to take one day at a time.

My mom and friends walked to the car and I walked back to camp. We waved to one another and just like that the visit had come and gone. Life does go by quickly which is why I believe it is best to enjoy every moment. These moments over this weekend were very special and everything is moving along quite nicely. I walked back into camp with a smile on my face and a very full belly!

I headed into the television room so I could watch the Giants and Packers play. I couldn’t help to think of my son who was back in NJ watching the game with his uncles. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Giants play well and win the game. It was very entertaining and I found myself rooting for the Giants. I also found myself thinking about one of my dear friends who visited this weekend who is a big Giants fan. He was driving back to Vegas and I hoped he had a chance to see some of the game. As it turned out he was able to catch the end. The three hours I watched, I was transcended to another place thinking of my son. I do look forward to sharing football games and so much more with him in the coming years. The future is exceedingly bright – thanks to the fact I no longer have a financial interest in the outcome of these games which feels great. Enjoying as entertainment makes so much sense and I am finally there. Now the Giants are going to the Superbowl in two weeks to face the undefeated Patriots. It will be a tall order for the Giants to win, but win or lose they had a great season and their fans should be very proud!

It was a great weekend all the way through. The visit was magnificent and now I have only 5 weekends remaining. The time is coming where I will be back in the free world and I certainly cannot wait. I would like to thank my mom and dear friends for a wonderful weekend. Thank you so very much!!!