Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mom's Return Visit (Part One)

I have eagerly been anticipating this day ever since my mother informed me four months ago that she would be coming back for a return visit. The early morning came very quickly and for the first time in a long time I remained in bed all night long. The early morning brought the regular exercise routine with my roommate. The temperature outside dipped below freezing, but this didn’t deter us and we had a very good workout routine.

As the workout session ended I had a few minutes to spare before I “waved off” for breakfast. I effectively used this time by shaving, taking an extra long shower and getting ready. I also wanted to greet my mother and dear friends on an empty stomach. I was ready for the visit as the visiting center opened. I figured they would arrive 30 minutes after the visiting center opened and this is when they arrived. I heard my name announced over the loudspeaker and happily headed toward the visiting area. I caught a glimpse of all three of them as I walked into the visiting area.

I was quickly greeted with warm hearty hugs all around. It was so good to see my mother and friends. A sense of warmth came over me as soon as I saw them. It was wonderful to be with them all day. The visit was incredible and so reminiscent of the days we would all spend together when I was younger. My mother looked great (as usual) and our dear friends are awesome. The conversation flowed freely from serious topics to very light hearted topics. The day flew by and I still can’t believe 5 ½ hours could go so quickly. My roommate even came down to the visiting area to meet my mother and friends. I am so glad he had the opportunity to meet everyone because he has become a good friend.

I received a surprise from another dear friend who made eggplant parmiagiana for me. I haven’t had this eggplant in quite awhile and it was as delicious (I think it was even more delicious!) as I have remembered it to be. This was a wonderful surprise and I ate the entire tray by myself. I continue to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, caring, and loving people. This made the very special day even more special and I am so grateful for all the love in my life.

The sun was shining brilliantly and the temperature was in the 60’s. It was a bright beautiful day weather wise and it was a bright and beautiful day with the company I shared. It had been four months since I last saw my mom and my dear friends and we picked up right where we left off. It is so wonderful when we get together because so often one of us will start a story – yet that story remains unfinished as we skip to another story/topic. I believe this is what makes the time go quickly because there is so much conversation and never a dull moment. My mother is so cute as she commented that I looked very well and very healthy. (I guess prison has been good to me!) She went on to state I should think about staying longer. This was funny and although I do feel great and have peace of mind I am very much looking forward to taking this with me into the “real world.” As much as I am going to miss my roommate and would like to stay with him until his release on September 1st, I have a life to rebuild my life and it is going to be amazing. I must admit I probably have the best color in my face that I have ever had in my life. I do get outside everyday – combined with the exercise and my somewhat positive eating habits, gives my face a “healthy look.” It certainly does appear that this Odyssey which I once thought could be so negative, has turned out extraordinarily positive in so many different ways.

The visit was ending and as we cleaned up the table, I wasn’t sad because I would see them again tomorrow. My mother mentioned something about another surprise tomorrow and I certainly can’t wait to se them again. I would like to touch on something my dear friend said to me. We were discussing a number of topics (as usual) and somehow we got on to discussing me. My friend told me I need to stop blaming myself. I really thought I have moved past this but the more we spoke about this, the more I realized I have to put it behind me. Yes, I mad a huge “boo-boo” (as my dear friend stated) but I am doing everything in my power to recover. I will stop blaming myself and if I start up again, I hope someone will let me know or as we say in prison “check” me. I have so much to be grateful for such as an incredible day like today. Everything does happen for a reason and I love the way my life is headed. I couldn’t say this a few years ago and yes my life is wonderful. I love everyone in my life so very much!