Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Change Of Heart And Mind

I was all set to craft a response to the letter/package I received from the IRS. I was a bit put-off by the things that were allegedly said by me, and I wanted to rectify those items. I started the letter, and halfway through, I tore it up. I thought more about it as I was writing, and I had a change of heart and mind. I thought to myself what it was I really wanted to accomplish, and I came to the conclusion I wanted to be right in a very strange way. I have to face that the money I stole is taxable. Whether I knew about this or not during the period of my stealing is irrelevant. The fact is I owe the IRS a significant sum of money. I did at one time convince myself that the stealing was more of a loan as I would eventually pay it all back; however, I got in too deep, and I could never recoup my losses. I have paid back about one-third of what I stole, and according to my case, I still have the balance to pay back while I serve parole. Over these past 18 months, the California Department of Corrections has garnished 55% of any monies toward me. This hasn’t accounted too much, but I am making payments. I don’t recall a specific tax code stating that money paid back toward restitution is deductible; however, I have spoken to others with this same dilemma I face, and they had been given credit for the money paid back. Once again, this is something I cannot and will not dwell on. The answers to these questions and so many more will be answered in due time.
I believe I came to my senses when I ripped up the letter I was writing. Instead, I wrote a nice thank-you letter to the IRS agent in charge of my case and signed the form I was required to sign. The process is now officially set in motion, and at some point, there will be a satisfactory resolution.
Yesterday evening, I spoke with a very good friend who I hadn’t spoken to in a couple of months. We had a very nice conversation, and as it turns out, he has a good friend who works in the real estate rental field. We spoke about my need for housing come this summer, and he will introduce me to his friend for some possibilities. As we spoke, I couldn’t help but think everything is truly coming together. I was filled in more on the real estate bust in southern California, and my re-entry into society couldn’t happen at a better time. Things are working out for the very best. Another topic of our conversation was my previous employer, which my friend and me have in common. I have been removed from there for almost three years (yes, that has passed quickly), and only one of the executives I worked with still remains. It sounded like a few of my former associates met with an unceremonious end. I have no right to wish any ill will on anyone, and I do find all of this unfortunate. The culture at my previous employer was a little distorted, and I know I took too many liberties. I surmise I was not the only one taking liberties as I cam to find out about all of this at the meeting with the consultant working with my previous employer. Everything does happen for a reason, and I am so happy to be recovering as life continues to get better.
The usual ensued over the course of today. I do find myself slightly less motivated as I clean the bathrooms each day. I still put in almost three hours and do my very best, but it is getting old. I have six weeks remaining, which means in 6 weeks from this very day, I will be spending my last day in prison. This feels so very good; however, until I am driving down the road with my wife, it won’t be a reality.
This weekend my mom and two dear friends will be here for a visit, and I am counting down the days. The weather forecast is for perfect, clear, sunny skies with temperatures in the upper 60’s, so we should be in the regular visiting area outside. Four months ago in September, they were all here, and we sat outside. I remember we needed shade for the hot sun, and my guess is we will enjoy the warmth of the sun this weekend. It is going to be a wonderful weekend, and I can’t wait to see them. After the visit this weekend, there will be only five more weekends remaining, and in those five weeks, there are three scheduled GA meetings/visits. The time is going quickly, and I will be driving down that road with my wife very soon. I am anxious to restart my life, and oh what a beautiful life it is!