Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year 2008!

New Year’s Eve continued with myself and my roommate waving off from dinner. The dinner was a special collection of beef and pork which neither one of us eat. Fortunately, my roommate was able to “find” an alternative in that he found a lone leftover soy sausage. He prepared us two soy sausage sandwiches on hoagie rolls. This was certainly a better alternative from the beef and pork delights. First, we walked around the camp while everyone was having dinner. Then we went back to our room to eat our sandwiches. This wasn’t the most ideal New Year’s Eve dinner, but it certainly worked well for both of us. We ate and talked which seemed to be the “MO” for the evening.

My roommate was able to get a copy of the day’s local newspaper which we both read, and the rest of the evening was filled with conversation. I also broke out a bag of the Trader Joe Trail Mix which was delicious as we ate this with our nightly tea. My roommate wanted to stay up and ring in the New Year at midnight. I would have been happy turning in at the usual time (9:00 p.m.), but my roommate had other ideas. Amazingly, we both stayed awake until midnight which we counted down from our watches. As the clock struck midnight, we wished each other a Happy New Year, and one second later, I believe we fell asleep. This did have significance for each of us as we are both being released this year. It is wonderful to say “I get out this year.” In fact, I get out next month! My roommate still has another 8 months remaining, but he, too, is grateful to get out this year.

Staying awake until midnight was the latest I have stayed awake in a very long time and the latest I have stayed awake here at camp. I was somewhat surprised that the camp was very quiet last night. There were a few sounds after midnight, but for the most part, everyone was asleep. I was speaking to another inmate prior to midnight who informed me this was his fourth New Year’s Eve incarcerated, and he hadn’t seen midnight in any of those four. He also went on to state he has two more New Year’s Eve’s remaining before he is released. This certainly puts it in a better perspective for me because last night marked the second and final New Year’s Eve I was incarcerated. God willing, next New Year’s Eve I will be with my family.

Sleep did come quite easy after the late night, and there was no early morning workout this morning. My roommate and I both agreed today would be a day off from any weight exercises. We were true to our word and got up much later than normal. I was going to wave off for breakfast because there was no hot cereal; however, my roommate convinced me to go with him. Fortunately, the cold cereal was Corn Flakes as opposed to the Cocoa Puffs that was served last week on Christmas. We both ate the cold cereal as we went without the beef burrito served later today. The breakfast was uneventful, and I headed back to my room.

It seems these holidays, especially New Year’s Day (today), are Chamber of Commerce weather days. There was a breeze, but the temperatures approached 70 degrees. I did by bathroom porter duties and decided to run a few laps. My legs were well rested, and I donned my earphones for a two-hour run. I was in a zone as I ran listening to the music and had a very good run. After the run and subsequent shower, I continued a longstanding tradition of watching College Football on New Year’s Day. I watched a very entertaining game between the University of Michigan and the University of Florida. It was too bad for my friend who is an alumnus from the University of Florida as they were beaten.

The day of the New Year has come, and I am very grateful. I made it through the holidays, and as long as I stay committed in recovery, I will never have to spend another Christmas through New Year’s Day holiday season incarcerated. I do look forward to many more holidays with my family because, even though I continue to make the very best of this, being without my family is no fun. I don’t believe I have ever underappreciated my family, but now I realize how fleeting life can be. This is why I am grateful for each and every day in recovery. Life is truly beautiful, and I do know 2008 will be a very special year. Happy New Year!!