Thursday, January 24, 2008

Peanuts In The Shower?

The hum of the days going by is hypnotic. Here I sit yet again to jot down my thoughts. 24 hours have passed since the last time I wrote. Quite frankly, in those 24 hours, not a great deal exciting has happened in my life, which is okay by me! I have read two newspapers; USA Today and a local paper, in this time period. Things seem to happen every news cycle, and if they didn’t, I guess the newspaper wouldn’t be very interesting. Would I quantify the newspapers as exciting? No, not really, but they were still informational. This would be my goal for this blog; to make it more informational than anything else. My daily life is anything but interesting, and other than the fact that I am an inmate at a California prison camp, interesting starts and stops there.

Was my dinner interesting? No, as it was the usual rice and beans. The main entrĂ©e was sausage and peppers. Since it was pork sausage, an alternative of roasted chicken was given to the non-pork eaters. The camp does cater to non-pork eaters which, I believe, number 12 inmates. It is interesting how the non-pork eaters are catered to, but no other person within the vegetarian or non-red-meat eating categories are catered to. I believe the non-pork eating has a basis in certain religions, which is why an alternative is given. On those nights when pork is served, I happily give the roasted chicken to my roommate. So much for being interesting and informative! With dinner over, the mail call was announced, and I received one piece which was a letter from my father. Earlier on in this journey, I was a bit apprehensive when I received an envelope with my father’s return address; however, now I enjoy reading my father’s letters. It was very good, and my dad has a very good life where is biggest concern is his golf swing. My father is a good golfer, but he has been tweaking his swing for over 30 years. I doubt he will ever stop tweaking the swing because this is what he does. He is enjoying life, and I love reading about his golf game. I haven’t seen my father in quite some time, and it appears (as long as I receive approval) I will see him at my daughter’s communion at the end of April. This will not only serve as my daughter receiving a sacrament but a family reunion of sorts for me. Both of my sisters are planning on attending along with my mother. It should be a wonderful occasion, and I certainly look forward to it.

The rest of the evening was the usual as I talked along with read until it was time to go to sleep. The rains started during the evening, and as I went outside, I noticed a little freezing rain coming down. Snow never materialized, but the forecast calls for more rain and snow in the higher elevations. There seems to be some controversy as to what elevation the camp sits. I heard people say 1700 feet above sea level, and I heard others cite s800 feet above sea level. The forecast calls for snow at above 2000 feet, so I shall see. The surrounding mountains are dusted with snow, and it is very pretty. Yes, this is southern California, but it is still wintertime, and even though the song says, “It Never Rains in Southern California,” it certainly does. It even snows!

The workout this morning was very good for me, and the day of rest did me good. My roommate may have slightly injured his shoulder, and for the first time one of us “tapped out” (which means stopped) before all of the exercises were complete. It was the right thing to do, and as my roommate went inside, I continued on. At one point during the workout, I was completely alone in the weight area. This is a rarity, and with the rain coming down, it was a very pleasant setting. I finished up and went inside to shower. Then came breakfast which was uneventful, and then it was on to clean the bathrooms. As I was cleaning, I found a shelled peanut in the showers. I not only found one but another. I thought this to be strange because it meant someone was eating peanuts in the shower! I’m not sure how this is possible, but it was evident as the peanut shells were on the ground in the shower, and the skins of the peanuts were on the faucet for the showers. Strange things do happen, and I had to laugh as I cleaned up the peanuts in the shower. Either someone was eating peanuts in the shower or someone was battling an elephant! I will go with the former! Is this informative, interesting, both, or neither??