Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reading Section Of My Therapy

I have lost track on how many books I have read during my incarceration. I remember early on I had read something like 30 books in a little over a month. If I maintained that pace, I would have read close to 300 books. Thankfully, as I moved through this journey, I started to do more things than read. My first 30 days when I was at the county jail, there wasn’t anything else to do other than read. Yes, it got better each step of the way; however, reading has been an integral part of my own therapy. I have detailed how reading writing, and exercising have not only allowed me to pass the time in a productive manner, they also keep me sane.

I haven’t read as many books as I have read in the past 18 months in my entire lifetime. When I use to travel for business, I was a very big reader as it helped to pass the time on airplanes. This was pre-IPod days! I went through many books in that 2-1/2 year period, but nothing compared to this period. I have read mostly fiction books sprinkled in with non-fiction works. I continue to read Dr. Wayne Dyer’s “Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life – Living The Wisdom Of The Tao” on a daily basis. Today, I read verse 53 “Living Honorably” and have 28 more verses to go. It is no coincidence I have 28 verses remaining because this exactly corresponds to the number of days I have remaining on my sentence. In four weeks from today, I will be in my last full day in prison, and if I had to guess, it will be much like today, which was filled with reading, writing, and exercising.

Yesterday, based on a recommendation from my roommate, I started “First Counsel” by Brad Meltzer. When I used to read much more back when I was traveling for business, I remember reading the first book, “The Tenth Justice” published by this same author. Over 10 years later, this author has now published five additional novels. I enjoyed “The Tenth Justice” and for some reason had not read any of his other novels until now. My roommate recently read “First Counsel”, and he did enjoy it, which is why he recommended it. I have read the first few chapters, and “First Counsel” is much like I remembered the writing in “The Tenth Justice.” Also, the story evolves around the White House, and the dialogue along with the storyline is very much like the television show “West Wing”, which was my favorite drama television show as I always found the writing very intelligent, crisp, and fascinating. This book by Brad Meltzer is almost identical, yet it is still original.

Sometimes, my memory of books is not as good as I forget certain storylines of the novels I have read. As I started “First Counsel”, I thought that I may have read it already, so I had to ask my roommate a few questions. As he answered, it became apparent to me that I had not read it. Just the other day, one of my neighbors was reciting a quote and asked me what book it was from. I had no idea even though I had only read the book a few weeks ago; however, to my credit as he started explaining the quote, I did remember the book and storyline. I do believe there is only so much room in my brain for information, and most of that room is taken up with useless information! I have been this way since birth so nothing has changed.

The alternatives to red meat seem to have come to an end in an aboveboard matter. Mondays have resumed with hamburgers and hot dogs night in the dining hall. In the past, I was able to receive the garden burger or Boca burger in lieu of the hamburgers and hot dogs while standing in the food service line. I don’t know the exact details of how this was stopped, but getting it was a bit different. The rules still do change daily, and sometimes, it is difficult to keep up. With four weeks remaining, none of this matters as I am very grateful to serve my time here. Last night, I was given baked fries instead of French fries by one of the kitchen workers. I did not ask for these yet this person knew my eating habits and gladly prepared them. Living a positive, purposeful life is incredible, and I continue to be blessed. Baked fries would not seem like a blessing, but it wasn’t the baked fries themselves, it was all in the presentation. This person did not have to do this nor was I expecting this, yet through goodness, I was presented with the baked fries. It seems good things are happening like this to me very frequently, and I am grateful.

Sleep came easy, but I couldn’t stay asleep very long. I had probably the worst up-and-down night I have had in a long time. I would like to trace this back to something I drank or ate, but I ate and drank the same things a week ago and didn’t have this problem, so I am at a loss. I must chock it up to the “small kidneys” I have been blessed with. Some days are better than others, but clearly, last night was not one of those nights. I still managed to get out of bed at the early hour to exercise. The rainstorm had moved through, and the cold temperatures returned. The temperature was below freezing as there was ice on the ground. This didn’t stop my roommate and me as were out in the weight area bright and early. We did get an excellent workout.

As is always the case, after working out and showering, I went to breakfast. This being Tuesday meant pancakes and oatmeal were the faire of the day. I still coat the pancakes with peanut butter, and I am thinking of adding peanut butter to the pancake batter when I prepare pancakes for my family. I’m not sure how my wife feels about this, but my children should enjoy it. At the very least, the peanut butter adds protein, and I do know my children, especially my daughter who shares my “peculiar” eating habits, need the protein. Yes, I am once again looking ahead to that day where I can cook beautiful breakfasts for my family like I used to on Sundays gone by. Sorry about the digression! The rest of the day was the usual as I cleaned the bathrooms, read, and wrote. I was considering running during the lunch hour but somehow talked myself out of it. I do know that I much prefer exercising in the morning to any other part of the day. As I plan on re-entering society, the early morning workout will once again be the start of my day. I just want to ensure this doesn’t conflict with any family obligations. Balance/moderation is what I aspire to, which is why I have cut back on running over the past few weeks. My eyes are more wide open than they have ever been, and this will continue one day at a time.