Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tasty Fish Yet Again

As it turns out, my good friend did attempt to visit me last weekend. I received a letter from him detailing his rather adventurous drive from Las Vegas. As he was driving from his house early Sunday morning, his time pressure gauge came on which he recently had an issue with and was presumably rectified. He took out his handy dandy electronic pump to fill up the tire and off he went. The gauge did reflect that the tire was properly inflated and all was well. About 90 minutes after this, the tire pressure gauge again came on. At this point, my friend became a bit exasperated and enlisted his GPS system to locate the nearest tire store which was open on Sunday morning. Long story short – all four of his tires were out of alignment. Also, the gauge had a malfunction which was rectified. By this time, it was early afternoon and he wouldn’t arrive here in time as visiting hours would have been over. It was a 400 mile odyssey and I felt sort of responsible for his misfortune. However, in the letter my friend did mention he would try again to comeback sometime in February. This is most certainly a good friend and one of those many blessings in my life.

With fried fish on the menu, my roommate once again came through with a tasty fish dinner. He actually poaches the fish and it is extremely juicy along with being delicious. He also made the parsnips and I told him he should be a chef. My roommate has always been an amateur chef and ha always enjoyed cooking. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, he is here with me and making the absolute best of a bad situation. I al so grateful he is my roommate and always keeps me well fed. He even prepared parsnips to go with the mushroom encrusted fish. I do believe he should prepare this meal for the entire camp because it is so much better than the fried version. I realize some of my fellow inmates are resistant to change and this type of meal my appear foreign but it is delicious. Once again it was an outstanding meal!

Eating and beginning a new book by James Patterson was pretty much the extent of my evening. To give an indication as to how full I was last night, I didn’t even have room for the evening requisite tea. The night falls quickly and I was off to sleep. I still haven’t gotten used to the flashlight appearing in the middle of the night. I remember someone telling me when I first arrived that I would get used to it. Well, it has now been 8 months and I still seem to wake up when the flashlight appears. I doubt I will suddenly get used to this in the next month which is just as well. I am a light sleeper and have always been on. I guess this will continue ad infinity.

I was more awake at 3:00 am than at 5:00 am when I actually got out of bed. My mind was once again working as I had some dreams. I dreamt I was working for several counseling services as an accountant. I didn’t recognize the people I was working with, but I do remember I wasn’t wearing any shoes or socks as I went about my business. I am certain Freud would have a field day with this, but I have no clue as to the meaning of walking around barefoot while wearing business attire. (Any guesses?) I got up and began my daily exercise routine with my roommate. I am not going to run in the Los Angeles Marathon on March 2nd for a variety of reasons, but I do hope to run the New York Marathon hopefully later this year.

I had my sights on the LA, NYC, and Boston marathons but I obviously have other priorities to attend to. If I am able to run in any of these – that would be great. I would love to have my family be there at each of the finish lines because this does mean a great deal to me. I have run in 5 marathons and my family has always been with me. I also ran in half-marathons and a few of them my family was there with me. It’s just not same when they are not there. I do believe we have many experiences we will share ahead of us and everything will continue to workout for the best.